Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Just to balance ... hope you all understand my side.    

Just to balance ... hope you all understand my side.

alien boy
Japan

Here �s an older discussion that deals with this very subject. It may be of interest to others this ongoing discussion.

http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=3227

Regards,
AB

P.S.  These discussions can surely take place in the Teachers�  Cafe, not the �Education Forum�, as it were.
Moral discussion is healthy & useful but there are more appropriate forums than THIS one to discuss them in.

1 Jun 2010     

wakebeauty
Brazil

"HOLOCAUST" WHICH HAS NEVER EXISTED" (hasan habach)
How come?????????Shocked Wacko

1 Jun 2010     

lshorton99
China

Dear Linda

In an ideal world, everyone would be free to talk about what they wanted to in a free manner with no hard feelings.

Sadly we do not live in an ideal world and any post which brings up sensitive topics of this nature with years of ill-feeling behind it is not the kind of thing that should be discussed here. I remember Nata �s innocent post about Holocaust Memorial day and the torrent of hatred and abuse it unleashed. We should be able to speak freely but we should also be sensitive to everyone �s feelings. Unfortunately, the world we live in does not always allow both.

I have been lucky enough to spend most of my life in countries where free speech was encouraged. Others have not. I believe strongly that there need to be places, like this, where professionals can exchange information and ask for help without it turning into a political discussion. Without fear of being attacked for their religion, politics or nationality. In order to achieve this, it is necessary to ban certain topics. Surely you �ve had disagreements with friends that have turned so heated that you �ve agreed not to bring up that particular topic again in order to preserve your friendship. I don �t see what Victor has done to be any different. I am 100% in favour of his decision.

I �m glad there are people like you who want to stand up for rights. You are the people who change the world, for better or worse. But as well as revolutionaries we need people to keep things running the rest of the time. Who do the day-to-day things that keep the world running. Who realise that sometimes moderation is better.

Thank you for expressing your viewpoint here and opening yourself up to criticism. We do all come from different backgrounds, something which is important to remember.

Lindsey

EDIT: I know wakebeauty - I didn�t understand what was meant by that either!

1 Jun 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

Dear wakebeauty,

I �ve been shaking my head as well since I�ve read this sentence, however, I refrained from saying something about it, because if we give this statement too much attention, we will certainly get what most of us want to avoid so much: a big verbal fight on this forum!!

I don �t understand how hasan could post these 2 statements in 1 message:

NEVER MENTION THE SO CALLED "HOLOCAUST" WHICH HAS NEVER EXISTED.

NEVER HURT ANYBODY �S FEELINGS.

They completely exclude each other, but I �ll just let it be - for the sake of keeping the peace in this forum...

I �m going to read further replies to Linda �s initial post tomorrow as I �m heading towards my cosy bed now. ;))

Good night (morning, afternoon or evening) to everyone - Silke

1 Jun 2010     

nata
Israel

Tapolia and wakebeuty you took the words out of my mouth!!!
However I didn �t want to say anything so people won �t think I �m biased because I �m Israeli and Jewish.
Good night,
Nata 

1 Jun 2010     

wakebeauty
Brazil

Dear Lindsey and Silke,

I know what you mean by not giving attention to "that" statament and not understanding it either, but I couldn �t keep my mouth shouted... It was too much to me... And maybe I �ll never understand his/her reason... but I think it would be worth knowing WHY!!!!!!! But maybe I �m doing what is forbiden here yeah...

1 Jun 2010     

nata
Israel

Lies, even if they are not yours, are still lies...

1 Jun 2010     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi wakebeauty

Thanks a lot for showing up

Know what I think? Not all of us have the same facilities of information.

That �s one of the reasons I would prefer these topics could be, in a fair, non offensive way, be discussed here.

We can �t point fingers to those who believe what they believe, because that is the only inf they get.

You are from Brazil -by the way, I love you all, you people, you country, but, are you sure you are given all the info by your government?

Think about counties with different rules, dictators, corruption, what do they know? What the official press gives them?

I don �t know how old you are, but you certainly can find someone around you who can tell you about past Brazil. ( and even about present, LOL - my prime minister has been there, and then he went to Argentina ) - oh God, we have a saying here, let me see if I can get the translation:
It �s all flour from the same bag.
Smile, I am not criticizing or attacking anyone - I am just stating that all of us, and also we, poor small teachers, are alwways being attacked by the huge sharks.

Victor,

It �s late, either you delete it or I do.
I just wanted to prove that this is possible.
In a while, I �ll be off, and d I �ll delete my post, tomorrow when I rise, if you haven �t , ok?

Bye
Thank you to everyone

Thanks Victor
linda

1 Jun 2010     

Babs1966
France

hasan habach If it �s a quotation from a well know writer you should give his name !!!
In France we had a polititian who �s been condemn for saying this sentence.

We have laws in France against xenophobe subject ... on internet there are also laws against it!!!

1 Jun 2010     

lshorton99
China

I actually think Linda �s made some points that I agree with (it had to happen!)

So much of what happens in the world seems to �disappear � with time. My parents lives were very different to my own and my grandparents live in a different country with the way things were then.

I don �t want to sweep atrocities under the carpet and pretend they didn �t happen. I think these things should be remembered. I don �t want people to talk about the forgotten and not know who they are. I want to do something when there is unjustice in the world.

Maybe I was wrong in wanted to push the potential nastiness of the forums, Maybe here is the best place for it because we are intelligent educators who should be able have a discussion peacefully whereever they �re from.

Maybe we could keep what we �ve got and just monitor it better?

I think linda may have awakened my dormant idealism and now I �m somewhat confused.

1 Jun 2010     

< Previous   1    2    3    4    Next >