Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > Garbled Mess!    

Garbled Mess!

ELOJOLIE274
France

Hi,
i like pdf because they make printing easier, but i love eslprintables because we can EDIT the ws we find: everyone makes mistakes/typos... - we �re only human - and it �s better to be able to edit a ws than to download a ws and then to be unable to give it to our pupils because there are a few mistakes...
so i really don �t want the wss to be in pdf!!!

to go back to your first idea, i use microsoft word, so i don �t know what kind of problems you have, but documents in .doc can be used in the whole word, so it �s normal to use this popular "format"... moreover if we uploaded documents in other formats people might not be able to open them, and then what would be the point of this website?

as for colourful ws, i don �t mind... i put cliparts on my ws (to illustrate, to explain the vocabulary without using translation...) and my cliparts are in colour, so my wss are in colour, but i print everything in black and white and there �s no problem!!! on my printer i can choose to print in colour or in "scales of grey" so it �s very easy...

moreover, sometimes i show the ws on the white using the over-head projector and it �s nice to be able to put a little colour on the white board!!!

have a nice day/evening
Elodie

16 Jun 2010     

magneto
Greece

I agree: I like editable wss better myself, so no PDF format for me.
As for colours, you can always right click the images and select the Image Toolbar. Then this: appears. If you select the menu that �s appearing in yellow in this picture, you can choose "Grayscale" and the image appears in grayscale, which makes it much easier (and cheaper) to print and photocopy.
Cheerio, everybody!

16 Jun 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

I beg to differ, dear magneto, because printing a ws in greyscale is not always cheaper than printing it in colour, because the darker colours will appear in black or dark grey which means that you use a lot of toner or ink anyway. ;))

The most economic solution is a real B&W version in which the pictures have no "shades of grey" at all. Just a black frame and the rest of the image should be clear white - that �s the best way to save ink or toner!

16 Jun 2010     

narutojp
Japan

I agree that PDF �s offer the possibility of a solution to my problem due to controlling size and formatting, however I agree with those who �ve pointed out that sometimes changes to the original document are necessary, and PDF documents exclude this option.

With all due respect Jayho, I appreciate your comments but you miss the point completely.  First of all, if this is a regular item in the forum, it should have been easy to find a solution for this problem when searched, and again if it is a common item, what is the workaround?  I have yet to see any answer.

Second, downloading 30 free worksheets that have nothing to do with the lesson I am preparing at the moment.  While nice in that I receive worksheets that others have worked hard at making and that I will use someday in my lessons, the fact remains that the worksheet I am looking for right now is not among the 30.

Finally, why would I want to make or upload a worksheet to get another point, when I have points?  I have points, but I don �t like them wasted!!

Yes, when I have some free time I will search through the free worksheets I �m allotted as a premium user.  But more likely than not, I search for a worksheet when I need to add to a lesson that �s being �cooked � right now.  When time is tight, I really appreciate finding a worksheet that someone else has created and applying it to my lesson.  When time is tight, and I download the worksheet only to discover it is garbled, it just increases my stress load rather than easing it.

17 Jun 2010     

Jayho
Australia

Ah, but narutojp, you missed my point.  The reason why you can�t find them is because often members use garbled titles like yours thus making it impossible to find later. Who would think to search for something using your diplomatic title of "garbled mess" when looking to see if someone else had the same problem and advice? 

Basically, there is no workaround for downloaders and the message often written is along the lines of get used to it.  You�re talking about a few lousy  points - so what - it happens to all of us not just you.  Did you notice that not one person commented on that.  We live with it - afterall, we have this wonderful site for free.  If you don�t want a garbled mess from time to time then perhaps you should find another site more suitable to the confines of your envionment - there�s plenty out there and many of them are free - you don�t even have to upload so that should suit your time constraints.

We all have stress and we all deal with it.  If you can�t accept this site the way it is then find another as I�m sure that option would provide less stress for you.  Alternatively, upload some WSs to build your stock of points so that you do have some for those times when all you get is a garbled mess.

Garbling Cheers

Jayho

17 Jun 2010     

< Previous   1    2