Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > kiwi     

kiwi

Damielle
Argentina

kiwi

Dear Vickiii,

I�m asking this on the forum because I think there may be some people who may also know. I�ve always thought of this but never searched the meaning of  "kiwi". I see that for you it is an animal but I can�t avoid relating that to a fruit. We call Kiwi a fruit:

Today I have surfed the Net and found its meanings in this site 

What does it mean for you??
By the way, dragons may also suit you...

26 Nov 2008      

Zora
Canada

Well, to me when you say just the word "kiwi" - I actually think first of the bird. I think that is because the bird was the first thing I heard mentioned with that name, the fruit came to me at a later age. I think, I was probably ten at the time when I first heard of the fruit.

26 Nov 2008     

Damielle
Argentina

I don�t know why the link doesn�t direct you to the page. These are the meanings I have found:

Kiwi are flightless birds endemic to New Zealand.

Kiwi or KIWI may also refer to:

26 Nov 2008     

luadosolzinho
Brazil

In my case, I only knew the fruit. It was new for me to find out that there was a bird under the same name.

Embarrassed

26 Nov 2008     

izabelbello
Brazil

Yes !! here in Brazil we know "kiwi" as a fruit, and it was good to know that it�s also a bird.

Thanks for the useful information Damielle.Wink

Izabel   Thumbs Up

26 Nov 2008     

Damielle
Argentina

Look at this!!!! A kiwi in action!!! So cute! I didn�t Know this bird

26 Nov 2008     

alien boy
Japan

Hi everyone!

Those are some very good links, thank you!

Before becomeing an ESL teacher in Japan I worked for many years as a chef in Australia. My understanding is that the "kiwi fruit" originated in China. It�s also commonly called a "Chinese Gooseberry". 

The fruit became known as "kiwi fruit" as part of a marketing program when it was first exported from New Zealand to the USA in the early 1960�s. I think this is an example of one of the most successful product brandings in world history!

Here�s an interesting food trivia link for you.

Cheers,
Bryce

26 Nov 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

Ok some clarification.

Kiwi is a flightless bird that is native to New Zealand and only to New Zealand.  It is the national icon of our country (New Zealand).

The fruit - was originally called the chinese Gooseberry - but New Zealand developed it - made it larger and sold it as Kiwi Fruit around the world.  We are a generous lot and we gave the plant away to heaps of other countries because we thought it was so nice that you would all like some.  In New Zealand we call it the Kiwifruit, not just Kiwi like the rest of the world.  If you want to buy kiwifruit from New Zealand then look for the Zespry brand name.  We also make yellow kiwifruit n ow that has no hair - but I prefer the green furry one.

Here is my lovely printable on why kiwis are important to New Zealanders - http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=95818#thetop

It is a myth/legend that has been rewritten from memory by me.

Oh by the way - New Zealanders call everything Kiwi - our horses, our language, ourselves, our cats, our cooking, our culture, our everything really, I met a dog called Kiwi in Argentina near villa angostura - he is da bomb! 

Kiwi evolved as a name for New Zealanders during world war 1 when our troops fought and died together in their own batallions.  our troops courage, sense of humour, ingenuity, and friendliness won a place in many peoples hearts - hence you will find kiwis in England, and many of the other places our soldiers fought for england.

Hope this helps.

26 Nov 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

Bryce posted same time as me -

Kiwifruit is one of the most successful branding experiences that went completely wrong - hehehe - us kiwis just love to share way to much!

New Zealand changed it through a selection process to grow to its current size - it use to be small like a grape.
But New Zealand didn�t patent the name, then we let people have our root stock (kiwi vines) hence anyone can grow it and call it kiwi even if it is not grown in New Zealand. 

The New Zealand variety is called Zespry - but Kiwifruit is such a cool name that no one bothers calling it Zespry!  But it is the authentic thing if you can get your hands on it. yum yum

Kiwifruit is best had over pavlova! yum yum

26 Nov 2008     

Damielle
Argentina

You know, I always wondered where kiwi fruit is from. I also tried to remember whether it existed or not when I was a child because for me, it is quite "new". It�s delicious and quite expensive here in Argentina!!!

26 Nov 2008