Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > the name 4 an English School    

the name 4 an English School

shoegirl
Poland

the name 4 an English School

Hello! My friend is going to open his own English language school. How would you call the place like this? We have got thousands ideas but we still haven �t got the ONE, the BEST of it. Help us - please :)

5 Jul 2010      

Akanah
Spain

Hi! In my humble opinion, the best thing to do would be calling the school after the neighborhood in which it �s going to be placed. It �d be easier to people to remember its name. It sounds pretty commercial, I know, but let �s be honest, that �s very important :S

Regards,
 Olga

5 Jul 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

English Planet

5 Jul 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

Marta,

What �s your friend �s name? He could anglicise it and name the school after himself (or, if he wishes, his wife/gf/bf/child).

He might even name it after you. �Martha � has so many down-to-earth, dependable connotations in English that you really couldn �t go far wrong using it: �Martha �s Corner �,
�Martha �s Schoolyard � (apologies to our Massachusetts colleagues), �Miss Martha �s... � etc.

You could also take the name of a street/ district in a British city and play around with that (did you know that there �s a �Poland Street � in London?).

I wish you the best, whatever you choose,

Alex

5 Jul 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Here it �s common for English institutes to be named after important cities in English speaking countries , sth like London institute, Boston language school... or a well-known English speaking writer �s name could be a good choice, too . Good luck ...

5 Jul 2010     

lshorton99
China

I like Alicia �s idea. Unfortunately, it �s just making me want to be silly:

The Twilight School of English (don �t pretend you don �t know what I �m talking about!)

Hogwarts (pretty certain that �s copyright)

Hamlet Academy (sounds like you �re selling cigars)

The Milton Institute (...for psychological research?)

The Wilde School (sounds like a fun place to learn!)

The Shaw Academy (leading to many great marketing campaigns - �We �re Shaw you �ll learn best with us � etc.)

I could go on - for about 70 pages but I won �t.

Being serious, my teacher friends and I actually had a conversation about what we would call our respective schools when they opened. Here are some of the suggestions:

Global English (this makes it sound bigger and more established. You can also put a name before it to make it more personal - for example, mine would be Horton Global English)

The (insert name here) Method School (this was because we were going to invent a �method �, which would basically be a mix of other methods and what teachers actually do in the classroom!)

The Tottenham Academy (you can put a different football team - I mean place(!) - here)

English Plus (gives the impression that you offer more than the basics)

First Choice English (not to be confused with the travel agency!)

I would also recommend including the owners � names and/or the name of the town in it to personalise it more.

Hope that helps and sorry for the silliness!

Lindsey

5 Jul 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Good choices, Lindsey !!  And ... not silliness, good sense of humour !!   LOL  LOL

5 Jul 2010     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Hi everyone,
After graduation I used to teach in a private school that was called "School of Tomorrow"
Sophia

5 Jul 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

You could also use an acronym like �ICTOAN �, otherwise known as the � I Can �t Think Of A Name � School.

Actually, RUMPLESTILTSKIN serves the same purpose (guess my name), but, unfortunately, it �s not exclusively English - or, maybe it is?

5 Jul 2010     

intra
Poland

I �m opening my language school soon, too and I was meaning to call it "English Centre (my first name & surname)". But after reading your suggestions I have to admit I like "English Plus" and "English Planet". I �ll have to think it over ;)

By the way, Shoegirl, which town/city are you from? ;)

Hugs

6 Jul 2010     

MissDal
Argentina

English Academy??

6 Jul 2010     

1    2    Next >