Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > A mistake in My worksheet.    

A mistake in My worksheet.

Mabdel
Morocco

A mistake in My worksheet.

Dear collegues
Hope you �re doing well. To all those who downloaded my worksheet" used to for past habits" there is a mistake that I didn �t pay ettention to it.

in the negative form " I didn �t use to " instead of " I didn �t used to" . You can correct it in your computers.

And I upload a new one in which I corrected the mistake.
Thanks u all.
( Just for clarification and correcting mistakes not to advertise my worksheet) hope you �ll understand.
have a great day.

6 Jul 2010      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

It �s not a mistake."I didn �t used to" is a spoken variant and is considered incorrect by many people. So according to Oxford Advanced Learner �s Dictionary "I didn �t use to" is correct.
Sophia 

6 Jul 2010     

libertybelle
United States

As far as I remember- when your auxiliary verb "do" is in past tense(did) - your main verb - "use" is in present tense.

You wouldn �t say "I didn �t saw him yesterday"

6 Jul 2010     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Yes, libertybelle,
I agree, but that was the explanation in the mentioned dictionary. It also had the old-fashioned "I used not to" as with modals.
Sophia

6 Jul 2010     

yanogator
United States

That "use" after "didn �t" isn �t the present. It �s the bare infinitive.

Bruce

6 Jul 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Did + bare infinitive !  I can �t believe a dictionary considers Did + past tense a " spoken variant " , is that so , Sophia ? That �s weird !

6 Jul 2010     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

May be my wording was incorrect, so here I quote: " we usually use the auxiliary verb did to make negatives and questions with the verb used to: I didn �t use to like classical music. Did Jane use to have long hair? These forms are usually spoken and are sometimes spelt did... used to and didn �t used to Many people think theses spellings are incorrect."
So, sorry if I confused anybody.
But what about phonetics? Don �t you think that didn �t use to sounds like didn �t used to (with the voicing of the "t" in to as we speak)?
Sophia

6 Jul 2010