Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > A QUESTION !!!    

A QUESTION !!!

lshorton99
China

Oddly enough, there �s a certain coolness about geeks now. People use it to refer to themselves in a self-deprecating but oddly prideful way. �I know I �m a total geek but the Watchmen film isn �t as good as the graphic novel. � �I �m a bit of a geek when it comes to classic cars. � Basically (thankfully) being a geek is now cool!

I agree it doesn �t necessarily mean someone who studies a lot - I would say �swot �. �Bookworm � for me is more someone who really loves books and reading, not necessarily studying. I �m a bookworm but not really a swot. Maybe once. �Nerd � is a less cool geek. �Egghead � is someone really intelligent in a not so interesting way, but again, not necessarily a swot. �Dweeb � is someone not particularly cool - close to nerd, probably fractionally less intelligent.

That �s my interpretation! The word I vote for is �swot �!

Lindsey

6 Jul 2010     

atsanti85
Canada

Just wanted to contribute one nobody �s mentioned here: "keener"

And I agree with Lindsey re. the use of these words becoming more positive and not so offensive, but it surely depends on the culture and where you are.

In certain places, if you �re lucky you might even get to spot a "hot/sexy nerd!" :P

6 Jul 2010     

libertybelle
United States

I remember a little while back a program with "starlets" and "nerds or geeks" called
Beauty and the Geeks.
To say the least - it was so stereo-typed.  All the guys were academics with high IQs
wearing out-of-date clothing and ugly glasses and all the girls were dumb as dirt and blond.
Sometimes the media - especially television- perpetuations this stereo-typing and I find it offensive.
L

6 Jul 2010     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

How about "squint" (I love "Bones")? So, what would you say, Lindsey?

6 Jul 2010     

joy2bill
Australia

One thing I love about questions like this is the array of fascinating words that come out of the woodwork. Often they seem quite quaint or plain old-fashoined. Then there are the times where I learn completely new up-to-date expressions.

This is why I love this site.  We are never too old to improve our language, are we!

7 Jul 2010     

top-notch
Iran

my first post here. also check these words . bluestocking,bookworm,bookish person,highbrow,INTELLECTUAL

7 Jul 2010     

lshorton99
China

I love Bones - �squint � is brilliant ueslteacher!!!! Sadly, it �s so particular to that programme it has no common usage. Let �s plan to bring it in!

Libertybelle - I remember hearing about that programme. I totally agree in that case - it would have offended me too! At least, from what I hear, the �beauties � came off a lot worse than the �geeks �!

Lindsey

7 Jul 2010     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Mirelli

Coming to think of it, I don �t know what noun we use in Australia for the rare species you mention.  In fact, I �m not even familiar with some of those terms already mentioned (dweeb, squint) so maybe they are not universal.

Cheers

Jayho

7 Jul 2010     

< Previous   1    2