Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > arrogant students    

arrogant students

carinaluc
Argentina

I totally agree with claudiafer.  It �s happened to me as well, and I remember giving them challenging tasks to carry out, such as preparing a language point to explain themselves.  Believe me, when they are in the teacher �s place and their mates do the things they usually do to the one at the front of the class... they get a taste of what it feels like and start changing their attitude towards the teacher.  It doesn �t happen overnight, but it really works!!!
Good luck
Carina

15 Jul 2010     

Greek Professor
Greece

Good evening everyone...

Yes, I too agree with claudiafer...I believe that everyone has students like these....so i believe that it is up to the teacher to challenge the students....

I have challenged my students by giving them each a grammar point for a start to teach...and oh yes...what carina says they get a taste of what it feels like being up there..and what i do...i talk with the students ignoring the one who is giving the lesson...and of course they get angry...so they get a taste of what it feels like being ignored...

good luck....

P.S... What I try not to do though...in my experience of teaching..is put my students down...I try talking to them..

15 Jul 2010     

teresapr
Portugal

We may also ask them to do sth in front of the class, sth that is really challenging. Most of the times they find it so difficult that they stop showing off!

15 Jul 2010     

Begogzp
Mexico

Hello
  I understand this a lot a year ago happened to me the same the class was terrible with that kind of students they always look for things to interrupt the class or bother it was very difficult for me....But I think it can be good for you if you give them extra work to present in front of the class I think first individually and them in pairs or group try this
I hope it works
     Bego�a

16 Jul 2010     

Lindax
Ukraine

I used to teach juvenile delinquents.

At first forget of your curriculum. Use �lots of humor and from the start try to reach the students wherever they are ( first you have to learn your Ss preferences), redirect their attention to yourself, �overwhelm them,� cut a figure with them, make them fall in love with you as a teacher.

Stay calm and unpredictable at all costs. And your students will get the message and fall in line.

� �

16 Jul 2010     

Mariethe House
France

I agree with you Lindax! Thank you for an answer full of hope for these kids!

16 Jul 2010     

Alees
Uruguay

All of you who have sent me a message trying to cheer me up and not giving up!! THANK YOU!!!! It �s great to hear( I feel as If I have heard it) people from around the world being in my shoes, and trying to understand me. YOu �re so sympathetic!!

I �ll survive, I hope so...ja, ja

16 Jul 2010     

< Previous   1    2