Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > could you explain me the answers of these exercises?!?:)    

could you explain me the answers of these exercises?!?:)

mad_rdg
Germany

could you explain me the answers of these exercises?!?:)

1. I thought that speech was an utterly / utter nonsense.
2. We live at a stone �s throw /throwing from here.
3. He couldn �t get/have a mechanic to repair his car yesterday.
4. He behaves friendly/ in a friendly way.
5. A new car is twice as expensive as a second-hand one.
6. He did bad or badly?
7. He ought to ask / is bound to ask his father for a loan.
8. Have + to inf or Have + inf : Have him do something or Have him to do something.
9. Tell something to them or Tell something them
10. Lied me or lied to me
11. He is misloyal/unloyal/disloyal?
12. To take a controversial/controversially/controversing decision?
13. Did you ask him where was he last night or Have you asked him where he was last night?
14. Could you explain why we don �t have inversion in indirect speech?
Thank you!

16 Jul 2010      

ELOJOLIE274
France

Hi,
most of the answers are very simple... have a look in a dictionary or in a grammar book!

by the way, when we ask for help in the forum, the proper thing to do is to explain why you need help and saying please... i think it �s a bit rude to just put your list of sentences for us to correct, and that may be why no one answered you so far...
i might be in a bad mood today - but please, next time you ask for help, be a little more polite (saying "thank you" isn �t enough, sorry!)
E.

16 Jul 2010     

mad_rdg
Germany

ok....I don �t think you can judge me and say that "it �s a bit rude", "be a little more polite" just because you are in a bad mood or something else... When I see something that "I don �t like", I just ignore it,I don �t jump to any conclusion... Just ignore if you don �t like what i wrote in my 1st post... Also when I say "thank you" I don �t think "it �s a bit rude", it �s just a form of respect...Maybe fore other person it isn �t...

16 Jul 2010     

donapeter
Romania

Of course we can �t judge people here. But ....ESL Printables is a site for TEACHERS. 
Now....my polite question is: how can a teacher ( who graduated a University , right?) ask such simple questions? 
Elojolie is a great member here and she was not rude. 

16 Jul 2010     

ELOJOLIE274
France

I �m not judging... if I had been judging i would have said: your questions look like questions my pupils might ask, you mustn �t be a good teacher  if you can �t tell the difference between an adjective and an adverb!!!

I didn �t say that! I simply told you that your questions were easy and that you might find the answers yourself by looking in a dictionary or a grammar book!
many people ask for help in the forum: we all have weak points, that �s nothing to be ashamed of, sometimes we �re not sure one sentence is correct... but you wrote a list of 14 sentences... do you know the answers and you only need to check you �re right? do you know the answers and want us to tell you how to explain those answers to your pupils - something you should be able to do on your own...? or do you ignore the answers???

We �re all teachers here, Dona is right, but we �re not your teachers! i was only pointing out that asking for help is okay as long as you �re doing it properly... You might have found my post "rude", and for that I apologize, but I had the right to tell you what I thought!
E.

16 Jul 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

O.k., Reggie is stepping in, people are probably sitting up and loading their guns.

mad_rdg has asked this kind of question many times and she has always gotten answers that made her happy.

She asked "could you", she said "thank you" and people who don �t feel like taking their time to answer might want to consider ignoring her.

I don �t think it is fair to make people feel bad about asking questions.

16 Jul 2010     

LuciaRaposo
Portugal

Don �t argue over "nothing"...

16 Jul 2010     

donapeter
Romania

Ok...my turn again: 
@ Reggie: If we make advanced wss and post them here , people suppose that we are smart enough to solve easy/elementary grammar structures. 
 I suppose that, for example. But...who am I? I posted only elementary and intermediate wss. 

16 Jul 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

Dona, I asked myself the same question quite a while ago. In dubio pro reo. (The principle of in dubio pro reo Latin for "When in doubt, for the accused") means that a defendant may not be convicted by the court when doubts about his or her guilt remain.)

Regards
The "so-called" Nazi

Tweet. Tweet.

(My mug shot is way too present again for some people�s taste, so I am out of here ;o)

16 Jul 2010     

lumpicha79
Poland

but still ..one can check it in a grammar book or a dictionary or on the Internet first..... time is many....if one waste somebody �s time he or she may be nervous...so I agree with elojoli....and my English is not very well because it �s my second language I teach (I prefer German) but I try to find solutions for my grammar problems alone and if it is still a "big" problem for me than I ask......it �s my point of view :-)

16 Jul 2010     

ELOJOLIE274
France

@ reggie: you �re right, she said "could you..." and "thank you" but a sentence or two to explain why she needs help would be better!

if one of my pupils sent me an email like that, I would ask him first and foremost to check in a dictionary or in a grammar book first: because I know some questions can be answered easily that way. and then if my pupil still had problems, I would help me - but we �re talking about a teenager who is still in the process of learning and understanding the rules of the English language... as teachers, we �re supposed to have reached that step! sometimes i have troubles finding the best way to explain the difference between adjectives and adverbs to my pupils, but not because i don �t know the difference!

don �t take me wrong, we �re allowed to ask for help, but i think being polite is nice!

Elodie

16 Jul 2010     

1    2    Next >