Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Word of the Day    

Word of the Day

Greek Professor
Greece

Good morning everyone...

I smell something bad happening.....something scandulous...

24 Aug 2010     

Apodo
Australia

If you want a taxi you can flag it down
IOUs are debts to pay
So is it what what is owing when you hail a taxi in the street?

or like an old musical instrument ?

24 Aug 2010     

baiba
Latvia

I support the variant that it is an adjective meaning obsessed with flags... can�t smell any gas.....Cool

24 Aug 2010     

viccxx
Greece

Hey, I know this one, I was reading a book the other day, set in Victorian time, lots of difficult words in there... It actually means something so scandalous (kudos Greek Professor! You rule!), so wicked and wrong that it �s almost criminal. I guess passing gas in a roomfull of people is flagitious but it has nothing to do with gas or flags.
I feel like I �m almost cheating, I looked it up just a few days ago...

24 Aug 2010     

Jayho
Australia

Interesting ...

I just put it in an anagram server and it found 377 anagrams but the one I like best, given the hilarious suggestions, is:   Gas Foul I It LOL

24 Aug 2010     

libertybelle
United States

Jayho!!!! LOL  Gas Foul I it???  Too funny!

for those who looked up the word - that �s cheating!  Our imaginations are much more fun!
Perhaps it �s a gassy-flag-waving - taxi-hailing person???

24 Aug 2010     

serennablack
Portugal

Flagitious= an expert on flags and gas...the perfect mix.

24 Aug 2010     

dennismychina
China

Oh well at least you guys have a keen sense of humor. The word flagitious means flamboyant, ostentatious or flashy.  His uniform was flagitious. It originates from the early Dutch navy. Incorporated in an admiral�s as well as a commodore�s emblem or badge were crossed flags.  So anyone dressed to kill, so to speak, was flagitiously dressed. Especially if a lower ranked seaman should dress beyond his station or ranking he would be ridiculed by his mates.

Enjoy.

24 Aug 2010     

cristinasuma
Spain

Flagilitious: Delitious cake in the shape of a country �s flag baked in honour of a famous visitor from that country.LOL 

24 Aug 2010     

libertybelle
United States

Or................  it could be a take-off on the expression/song from Mary Poppins called:

superfragilisticexpialidocious!!!  (you all know that word, I �m sure! Embarrassed)

24 Aug 2010     

< Previous   1    2    3    Next >