Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > What to do??    

What to do??

Ide_Bere
Mexico

What to do??

Hi, my baby girl started kinder garten this August and the school she �s attending has one hour of English every day. Her teacher provided them with a set of copies in order to do the HW. The thing is in the first page she wrote the general instructions and those instructions have some grammar mistakes. I haven �t said anything to my baby girl since I don �t want to cause any problem with the teacher, but I �m not sure how to procee.
What can I do? I don �t want to embarrass the teacher but I think it is important for her to know that there are somethings wrong in the notebook.

Thank you for your time.

Bere

1 Sep 2010      

donapeter
Romania

She �s lucky she has you there!! (I mean your daughter) 
Anyway...even if you tell the teacher about her mistakes, you won �t make her smarter! You won �t be there to hear the further mistakes. So...what �s the point!!! 

: Don �t take this advise seriously! It is just an opinion! 

1 Sep 2010     

Zora
Canada

Well, if I were your daughter�s mother, I would gently explain to her the "correct" way, without making a big deal about the mistakes her teacher made.

Errors, especially at a young age, can be hard to correct later on if they aren�t caught early... and quite truthfully, I don�t believe in "not wanting to correct because it will only cause problems with the teacher..."  -  my daughter/son�s (education) is much more important than some adult�s misplaced ego.

1 Sep 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

Agreed with Zora. Although, perhaps she �s testing you, the parents... sorry, that �s more wishful thinking.

1 Sep 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

@Bere

I agree with you that this is a tricky situation. I �ll soon have the same problem with my son �s English teacher at his primary school (it was his first day at school yesterday Star), because I know from other mothers that the English teacher is not really good at English herself. And if even those mothers whose English is quite rusty notice that this lady makes a lot of mistakes, you might be able to imagine how poor her English must be! Disapprove

I have already been thinking about what I �ll do when this teacher starts to teach my son wrong words, wrong spelling and wrong pronunciation and haven �t come to a final decision so far...

However, I tend to talk to this teacher in private or to write her a very polite short memo first. If there �s no reaction to that, I �ll talk to her, because I strongly believe there �s no other way to deal with this matter.

To talk to the headmaster wouldn�t be a very nice solution, but if this lady started being cheeky to me or Gianluca, I�d consider even that in order to ensure that my son learns only correct things and is taught this important language properly. :(( Obviously, this teacher simply needs further education, so the headmaster could make her take another training course...

1 Sep 2010     

tastybrain
Taiwan

Remember though that if you use English at home that will be a much greater influence on your daughter �s early language development than an hour a day at school.

I would bring it up quietly and discreetly to the teacher after you have something very positive to say about her so that she doesn �t feel bitter inside and take it out on your daughter. Maybe you could offer to assist her if she wants any help in the future (thought that might come across as condescending depending on your delivery).

Good luck.

1 Sep 2010     

cli1
Andorra

I strongly agree with tastybrain: If you do bring it up then do it quietly and discreetly and since you�re a teacher yourself, imagine you were in her place. 
I�d probably wait a little before saying anything at all and see if the teacher makes more mistakes...maybe she�s written those instructions in a hurry and actually knows better. 
I�d also take the kind of mistakes into consideration: You say your daughter goes to kindergarten and the mistakes you found were grammar mistakes...as long as it is not the 3rd person -s I wouldn�t worry too much if the teacher uses the conditionals correctly...there are more important things like vocabulary or pronounciation and teaching qualities like dedication and imagination.

1 Sep 2010