Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > "Have to" a Modal?!!?    

"Have to" a Modal?!!?

tastybrain
Taiwan

"Have to" a Modal?!!?

I noticed in my textbook that it describes the unit �s grammar function (using have to/had to) as a modal. I was doubtful, so I looked it up. It appears that have to (while used similarly to "must" is not grammatically a modal.

There seems to be confusion in the ESL community on this. Even a few worksheets focusing on modals include have to and/or had to in them.

Modals do not conjugate. "Have" does conjugate. Modals don �t use infinitives. "Have" does have an infinitive. I don �t see why there should be any confusion.

I just thought I might get some perspective on this from my esteemed ESLPrintables peers. Thanks!

1 Sep 2010      

vickyvar
Greece

Hi,
as far as I know there are modals, which are verbs with certain characteristics such as that they are followed by an infinitive and they do not have tenses and there are semi-modals, which function as the modals but have tenses (maybe not all of the tenses).

I hope I have helped.

1 Sep 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

I agree with Vicky !

1 Sep 2010