Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Regarding worksheets in answer to Damielle    

Regarding worksheets in answer to Damielle

Tere-arg
Argentina

Regarding worksheets in answer to Damielle

Sorry for opening the same subject again, but I think this is important to consider.
Original post

Dear Damielle,

I think we are forgetting this is not our site, but it has  an owner who;

- had the idea
- set it to work
- set the rules
- devotes long time to us  and the site

When we entered, we were supposed to read the rules and accept them.
Once in, we have to follow them.
None of us is entitled to change anything.

You cannot manage the site as you like.  If every of us did, this would become a chaos.
I�d suggest you ask Victor for his opinion first, every time you have one of these ideas.

We are supposed to be professionals and know about rules, what is wrong or right to do and the steps we have to follow in order to change something in a place that does not belong to us.

I get the feeling this forum has become into a site for social meeting rather than for teachers talking about their experience, knowledge and doubts.

I hope you can understand my point as we have agreed many times...Wink

I do not want to discuss, but as every member, I am just using my right to post my opinion.

29 Nov 2008      

lina70
France

I understand your point but

I just want to say something, sometimes you spend a lot of time doing a nice ws hoping it will be useful to others as it has been to oneself and when we need points to download some older ones a little help is nice.Personally I find it difficult to make ones way here once your ws has become "famous" its ok but till then it can be quite frustrating.But of course I prefer that someone downloads my ws giving me the point so that I can download what I need.

29 Nov 2008     

Tere-arg
Argentina

I understand, but this site was created to "exchange" material.

As teachers, we have to produce our own work. ..so we have just only to upload some in order to get some more.

Some sites like this ask you to pay to be able to do so.
Aren�t we getting more than enough the way it is and with some help from other teachers?

Making it more simple: what would you think if I visited you and suddenly I did not like something in your house. Would it be right for me to change it?

This is the same. We are in other�s home and we must obey the rules as good guests...Smile

Going back to my housework... (waiting for me  LOL)

Smile

29 Nov 2008     

lina70
France

I completely agree with you concerning the rules.I myself I�m doing my best to provide something useful to my colleagues here but I also understand Damielle�s want to help others  because as I said it�s difficult to make ones way here.I�m conscious about our luck in having this fantastic site too.Have a nice time doing your housework Dear,i�m going back to mine too. some flowers to motivate you !lol

29 Nov 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

I agree Tere,

This is an exchange site.  By keeping it as an exchange site we continue a community feel to the place. 
I personally feel that teachers should have to put effort into preparing their worksheets in order to teach effectively.  If you don�t have enough knowledge to prepare the worksheet how on earth are you teaching the principals of a subject?  For this reason I nearly always prepare my own work, or ensure I thoroughly understand the resource I am using (such as one from this wonderful website).

I think people who put some effort into investigating what makes a good worksheet for this website will find that their teaching practice also improves considerably.  This is why i am only happy to download worksheets that have obviously had some effort put into them.  (No not just pretty pictures - I also look at the actual teaching content). 

I know that I have improved considerably as a teacher by attempting to improve my worksheets by looking at successful ones and figuring out what it is about them that so many people like. 

although some popular resources are due to a pretty picture, I find that the majority of content is popular because it has a good teaching idea attached!

If people want things for free with no effort there are plenty of websites around to help them out... 

BTW = has anyone seen Vanda�s website... Incredible!

29 Nov 2008     

lina70
France

I agree with you Dear but  I personally think that appearance counts a lot too and popularity on the website even if the content behind the appearance is perfect. I will have a look at your site. Could you please give the link?

29 Nov 2008     

libertybelle
United States

A little off the topic.  I think the colorful WS are delightful.
But not everyone has access to a color printer.

One thing I think is important is that the content of a really good WS
can keep the students focused for more than 5 minutes.

A really good worksheet, in my humble opinion can be used for:
reading
grammar
conversation
pair work

Group work
translation
writing
finding figures of speech
active activities such as finishing a story or coloring

and more.....

I used to use hours making WS with colors and decorations and stuff
and my kids were finished in 3 seconds flat!

L

29 Nov 2008     

lina70
France

I understand your point libertybelle , I too think that colourful ws really help our students.I agree that we spend a lot of time preparing them.

29 Nov 2008     

arkel
Ireland

Hi everybody :) I usually do the content part of my wss first and THEN put the colourful inserts. That way I get my priorities right. Just my tuppencehalfpenny�s worth.Smile

29 Nov 2008     

GIOVANNI
Canada

I remember a time when people didn�t ask other  members to download their worksheets or ask for points, they waited patiently and accumulated their points.  I also remember a time when it was unheard of to ask teachers to
give their points away to some of the other members because they have accumulated too many points.  As Logos mentioned you have to put in to take out.  This is what this site is all about.  One good worksheet will give you all the points you need to have access to 30 freebies each day.  Have patience and submit, it won�t be too long before you accumulate the points required.

29 Nov 2008