Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Speaking and writing VS only speaking    

Speaking and writing VS only speaking

Hannie
Portugal

Speaking and writing VS only speaking

Dear teachers,

I had a school meeting this week that really made me unconfortable about something.

Here in Portugal the english language is quite new at the primary curriculum. Only since 2005/2006 our kids are having these lessons while they are on the 3rd or 4th grades (8-9 years old). More recently, the lessons have been generalized to the 1st and 2nd grades (6-7 years old).

Now, my problem is the following: some teachers (not ensglish teachers) are claiming we shouldn�t teach the kids how to write in english but only how to speak. They say that at least we should focus much more (more than what we already do) on speaking, use songs and games and films.

Well, I do all that.. but I don�t think I should stop using writing activties in class at least with the 3rd and 4th grades... Of cousre I don�t teach them grammar yet.. but vocabulary and short sentenses..

I asked the kids directly and they say they want to learn how to write..

I wonder how this works in your countries.. Can anyone give me some hints on this??

Hugto all and  a great WEEKEND!!

29 Nov 2008      

urpillay
Spain

Hi Hannie,

Here in Spain, students aged 8-9 also do writing exercises. They exercises are very basic because it is important to motivate them with games, songs, videos... The problem of teaching them how to write is that they get confused because learning English is like learning two languages, I mean, you do not write words as you pronounce them. Therefore, I do not know what is better.
I would also like to know other teachers opinions because it is an interesting topic!!!

29 Nov 2008     

Damielle
Argentina

Dear Hannie,

I also quite agree with urpillay. As far as I know (and was taught) at 6,  children should be trained orally with songs, ridles, games, etc. They can match pictures with words, colour the picture of the word they listen, etc. But I think you should avoid writing too much as they don�t master  the mechanic of writing in their own language yet.

You can also try different method, for example total physical response. Although I have already mentioned the links, I�ll include them for you:

29 Nov 2008     

urpillay
Spain

Hello again, Hannie
I have been thinking about your question which I consider really interesting, and another thing you could do to show which method is better is to choose two groups of children of the same age. Then, introduce writing in one group but not in the another group. In this way, you will see which groups learn more and show the results to the rest of teachers in the next meeting. What do you think?

29 Nov 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

As a trained primary school teacher (rather than esol trianed) I find this a very interesting topic.

When english children are learning to write there are many rules they need to learn.  Part of how they learn is to be see the words frequently when they are spoken.  We do this initially through:
1)  reading stories, which the children can see
2) singing songs with the lyrics. 
3) Teaching our main words (dolch words are great I have a link if you would like)
4) Teaching phonetics with the letters and blends that make up the english language (this is great when done with music and movement as well)
5) Specifically teaching spelling rules.

The balance between oral language, reading and writing is always important to get right.  I am quite appalled to think that children would only get oral with no written word! 
My lessons from babies to adults always include a combination of all of these introduced through music, games, flashcards, movement, and targetted lessons with a specific learning intention.

I would suggest that you ensure that you always have the written copy of a song or rhyme so that children are hearing and seeing the words at the same time. 
Always give written instructions for games, with you reading the rules aloud.
Introducing new vocabulary with flashcards should also be accompanied by the written word.
A large percentage of children will pick up the rules of english reading and writing from exposure alone. 
Specific teaching will then improve their understanding.

Sorry for the long reply but this is a topic close to my heart.  I believe in using integrated lessons where children have an experience, talk about, read about it, and then write about it.  To miss one of these crucial steps would seem criminal to me - although i do respect that other people have different approaches, this is mine and I am passionate about it.

29 Nov 2008     

izabelbello
Brazil

Hannie, this is really a very interesting topic, and Vickiii, thanks for your long reply. I�d like to get the link about dolch words.

Writing is a common concern between us teachers, and what is the best method to be used specially with children.

This is the first year I teach children (6 to 10 years old), and I always wonder if I�m doing the write job.

Nice weekend for you all.Thumbs Up

29 Nov 2008     

alien boy
Japan

Hi,

in Japan the primary/elementary curriculum is supposed to be aural and oral only, without the a written component. When you consider the differences in character systems - e.g. the English alphabet has 26 letters whereas the total number of kanji in Japan is actually over 4,000 characters and then an additional 90 odd for katakana & hiragana!- you can completely understand why the emphasis on written language is not the alphabet!

Saying this, however, I definitely agree with Vickii. I�m a partially trained primary and high school teacher (before turning to linguistics & esl studies) I think it is a naturally inclusive step to include some writing. Kids generally want to have a complete experience of things. If they could eat the words to find out what they taste like, they certainly would try!!! (& I have heard of some people who literally taste words that are spoken - this is related to brain function)

More later!

Good discussion everyone!
B-)

30 Nov 2008     

Hannie
Portugal

Thanks to all who had written these nice words to me!!
I�ll read them more carefully now!!
Hugto All!!

30 Nov 2008