Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > like gerund or like infinitive ?    

like gerund or like infinitive ?

epit
Turkey

like gerund or like infinitive ?

How should I teach the pattern "like gerund or like infinitive" ?I was teaching the verb like  using infinive  but I see that infinitive is  used in some worksheets  .I think there is no great differences between them but I learned  like +gerund so I taught it like that  but now I want to know what is the difference  between for example  "I like to eat apple and I like eating apple".Thank you from now .

11 Sep 2010      

coyote.chus
Spain

Hello, epit,
There is no difference between them. You can say "I like reading horror books" or "I like to read horror books ". BUT You have to use the to-infinitive when using "would" "I would like to go to America next year". In this case only the to-infinitive is correct.

11 Sep 2010     

cristinasuma
Spain

There is another difference. We sometimes use I like + infinitive when we want to do something which we don �t particularly like, but think useful or necessary.
So, for instance you could say:
I like to go to the dentist twice a year - it doesn �t mean you enjoy it, but you think it �s good for your teeth.

11 Sep 2010