Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > suggestions    

suggestions

Flora1
Brazil

suggestions

Hi,

I am needing to read a work of an american author, could someone suggest a good book, I was thinking about Legend of Sleepy Hollow  but I think is better to have more suggestions before really choose the book. It is for my post graduation presentation.

Brazilian Hugs

13 Sep 2010      

ELOJOLIE274
France

Hello,
what about Ton Morrison �s novel "Beloved"? it talks about slavery, and what a mother can do to protect her children from it... I loved it!
have a nice day

13 Sep 2010     

hdefined
United States

There are lots of American authors, and lots of famous ones, and many I �m sure have been the topic of postgraduate theses and presentations. You �ll have to be more specific about what you �re looking for and what your presentation needs to explore.

13 Sep 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

It depends what you like. I love Poe. But I also enjoy Mark Twain, if you �re looking into classics...

13 Sep 2010     

tastybrain
Taiwan

Ernest Hemmingway.

He tends to use simple, easier language if you think that would be better. The Old Man and the Sea is a good book.

13 Sep 2010     

douglas
United States

It depends on what you are trying to achieve, if you are looking for American culture I �d suggest Mark Twain or John Steinbeck (Of Mice and Men).

J.D. Salinger (Catcher in the Rye) would be another possibility.

I personally really like Kurt Vonnegut Jr., but I suspect he won �t fit your needs too well.

13 Sep 2010     

chokosaki
United States

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow is a good read but it is extremely detailed and sort of boring.  I wouldn �t suggest it.  There �s like 2 paragraphs dedicated to describing a simple tree by a bridge.  I �d suggest Of Mice and Men or The Great Gatsby.  Both are fantastic period pieces.  Others suggested Mark Twain...he �s about as classic as you can get!  Great reads!

13 Sep 2010     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Ernest Hemingway is a great suggestion.
I read Farewell to the Arms a couple of times as a student at the University. But it could be because my father liked him a lot and I always felt that I had to read his works just to see why my father said I was too young to understand things he wrote. 
BTW a questions to native speakers: is it a farewell to the guns so to speak or a farewell to the hugs? As it �s translated into Russian as a farewell to the guns (I don �t mean the exact "gun" word but a collective noun like "arms"), so I was wondering if there �s a chance they got it wrong. Or was it the authors intention to put some dubiousness into the title? 
Sophia

13 Sep 2010     

Flora1
Brazil

I took notes about your suggestions and I�ll look for these books on the internet, thanks. 

13 Sep 2010     

Flora1
Brazil

ELOJOLIE274, I loved Toni Morrison, well this for one presentation about a book so I need to choose an interesting book to read and I didn�t know this author. Thanks.

13 Sep 2010