Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Finish as an intransitive verb    

Finish as an intransitive verb

ishu
Turkey

Finish as an intransitive verb

Hello everyone,

A couple of days ago, I was in a friendly discussion with a colleague of mine whether the use of "finish" in the following sentence was correct or not:

Has my beer finished again?

I know that "finish" can be used both as a transitive verb and as an intransitive verb in different meanings in different contexts. What do you think about the above sentence? Is it grammatically a correct sentence?

Thanks for your input in advance :)

13 Sep 2010      

yanogator
United States

I don �t know about British English on this, but it definitely does not work in US English.

Bruce

13 Sep 2010     

ishu
Turkey

Any Brits around? :)

13 Sep 2010     

Zora
Canada

The sentence make no sense... sorry.

Might be that you want this sentence:

"Who has finished my beer?"

OR

"Has the beer been finished off already?" (meaning the beer is gone... and the person talking is quite surprised by this.)

13 Sep 2010     

ishu
Turkey

In Longman English Dictionary Online, it says:

7 use all of something

[intransitive and transitive] British English to completely use up the supply of something, especially food:

The ice cream �s finished - can you get some more?

So, if we can say "the ice cream has finished", why can �t we say "has my beer finished?"

Thanks for your replies :)

Isil

13 Sep 2010     

dawnmain
United Kingdom

To finish - to use all of something.

In Britain we wouldnt say the ice cream has finished.  it would be the ice cream is finished.
Or I have finished the ice cream. Not the other way round.

In my opinion it can �t be active because the ice cream hasnt done anything.

The film has finished.  (the film does the finishing)

regards

13 Sep 2010     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

I may be wrong, but I believe that in that dictionary example the construction used for the ice cream sentence is the passive voice, not present perfect. Meaning, the ice-cream is over/finished (someone ate it all). Or maybe not passive voice, but the verb is acting as an adjective.

But you couldn �t say that the ice-cream/beer has used all of something, could you?

From English
literally to Portuguese, that sentence would make sense too, but not in English.

13 Sep 2010     

moravc
Czech Republic

has my beer finished?
that would mean the "ACTOR" is the beer...
the beer has finished itself = the beer has drunk itself
So the sentence "Has my beer finished" doesn �t make sense... Sorry...

So there are several options how to say there is no beer left:

Has the beer been finished (again)? = Wow! Somebody has drunk all my beer again!

or a funny sentence:
Has my bear finished? = Has my bear finished doing something - funny things? :-D

13 Sep 2010     

ishu
Turkey

Thanks for the replies.

Hmmm.. I see your point, but then I wonder why the dictionary gives the use as both intransitive and transitive. Doesn �t intransitive mean that a verb does not require the use of an object? What confuses me is that it could have given the verb as transitive only and then used it in the passive form.

Isil

13 Sep 2010     

Zora
Canada

The day has finished. It is over. Thank goodness.   - Finish as an intransitive verb. Wink

John has finished his ice cream. He�s done. It�s gone. So sad. - Finish as a transitive verb.

The ice cream had been finished before I got any. Poor me. I love ice cream. - Passive form.

Smile 

13 Sep 2010     

ishu
Turkey

Thank you all for helping me out :)

13 Sep 2010     

1    2    Next >