Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Face something, face with something??     

Face something, face with something??

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

Face something, face with something??

Dear colleagues,

what �s the difference between FACE sth and FACE with sth ??

I met both but dictionaries don�t give any reference about �face with �...or maybe I  looked it up wrong...

Thank you in advance!!! Hug

13 Sep 2010      

Lina Ladybird
Germany

Dear Kate,

You can definitely be face to face with someone (or something) who is right in front of you, but the expression "face with something" doesn �t exist I think...

When you "face something" you don �t run away from a certain unpleasant situation, e. g. somebody wants to argue with you and even though you �re not interested at all, you stay.

Hope it helps! :))

Hugs - Silke

13 Sep 2010     

Abdou1980
Morocco

1. �to face � is a regular verb used to denote many meanings, some of which are:
to be opposite someone or something/ to accept that  a bad situation exists and u have to deal with it.
2. �be faced with/ by something� is a phrase used to mean that if a problem faces u, it is likely to happen and u have to deal with it. For more information, consult a good dictionary.

13 Sep 2010     

Zora
Canada

Hello Kate, Smile

"Face with something" means a (not so-nice) situation one must deal with/put up with/resolve ... and this verb is usually in the passive construction.

"He was faced with jail time or paying back the stolen money."

"Janna and Tom were faced with putting up with the fumes from the factory or moving house."

"The President was faced with a situation that could cause problems internally".

13 Sep 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

Hi Kate,

"face with"needs an object: you can face somebody with something, examples are:

"I faced her with an angry look" (i.e. you looked at her and she saw the angry look on your face)

"It faced me with a problem" (i.e. you were confronted with, had to deal with a problem)

---

"to face something/somebody" means that you confront something/somebody, also in the figurative sense.

Regards

EDIT: Zora was the faster typer or thinker ;o)

13 Sep 2010     

yanogator
United States

As Linda said, "face with" is usually a passive form "to be faced with".

Bruce

13 Sep 2010