Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > the biggest mistake a pupil wrote in a homework is...    

the biggest mistake a pupil wrote in a homework is...

ELOJOLIE274
France

the biggest mistake a pupil wrote in a homework is...

hello!

here �s what a pupil of mine wrote a few days ago:

question: "what movies/TV series do you like?"

she answered "desaspert is wayu" (no sentences, just those 3 "words")

at first I was like "????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT????!!!!", now i �m like "well, here �s a challenge!" (by the way, she �s 16 and she �s NOT dyslexic or something like that, I asked her - and she �s been learning English for 4/5 years, maybe more...)

what about your pupils? what are the biggest mistakes they wrote?

have a nice day/evening!
Elodie

16 Sep 2010      

zailda
Brazil

Hi!

I don �t understand why, but I noticed that a few students don �t undestand completely what a language is. They don �t associate "language" with their mother tongue, so they learn words by heart (sometimes with spelling mistakes) and read them using the same pattern we do in our mother tongue, so it sounds unfamiliar even to the natives.

Once a student asked what "guy" means, but she pronounced it like in the first syllable in "Ghinea" (as we �d read it in Portuguese) so I wasn �t able to understand. Another student asked me what "now here" means. After some minutes of reflection I realized the word was "nowhere".

The students that don �t connect English to "a language" simply write or say nonsense, because English doesn �t make sense for them and they imagine the clue is to say / write unintelligible words with tons of consonants (or consonant sounds when speaking) and it �ll be OK. They don �t seem to understand that the language is used in communication and the sentence has a beginning, middle and end and must be used to transmit a person �s feelings or thoughts.

They understand "the verb to be" but are unable to understand what it means, because sometimes (even after several years studying English) they ask the teacher how to say I am a student, they don �t realize that the verb "to be" should be used.

In fact, some are able to say all the grammar rules and know tons of vocabulary by heart, but they are unable to use them or to connect words in English with their thoughts.

This problem is more frequent in children up to 10, 11 years old, but I �ve noticed the same condition in teens and even adults. It �s complicated to teach them how to use what they spent years "learning", mainly if they were not my students and were taught using different methods at diverse schools.

I had some students with the same problem (maybe 4 or 5 during 12 years) and 2 or 3 of them had an "insight" and started making sentences that make sense, the others simply gave up.

Have you seen the same problem among your students?

Zailda

16 Sep 2010     

ELOJOLIE274
France

i �ve noticed the same things as you have, for example they know there must be a verb in a sentence, yet they write sentences without verbs... and when you tell them "something is missing" they �re like "oh yeah, the verb..."
but my example is a little different... if she likes "desperate housewives", then it means she watches it on TV, and the title is not translated, so she just had to remember how to write the name of the TV series she likes... she did write "twilight" and "sex and the city" correctly (sex not sexe like in French) - so there �s no real explanation for her mistake... and she could have asked me or a classmate "how do you write...?" but she didn �t... she wrote it phonetically, and I �m pretty sure she �s doing the same in French... a lot of my pupils tend to write like they speak, forgetting that words and sounds are not the same...

16 Sep 2010     

zailda
Brazil

Hi!

The students don �t have any contact with the written word until they get used to it orally at the school I teach. When students read and pronounce words like if they were in their mother tongue, this is called "interference" and to avoid it, it �s better let them read the word only after oral practice.

Of course each student has his own pace and even if we provide further practice (asking questions, conversation, listening exercises and so on...) for some it seems not to be enough and they still pronounce and read words (or write it as it sounds) wrongly.

As I said, they don �t understand the aim of a language: to communicate. And to communicate effectively they have to understand that no one will be able to recognize the words if they pronounce them the way they "think" they are, or if they write them like they come to their minds at that moment.

It �s like if they were sending a message: "I can �t understand this language, it doesn �t make sense for me. So, the others may feel the same and it doesn �t matter how I �ll say or write, since they won �t understand anyway."

16 Sep 2010     

MarionG
Netherlands

my favorite mistake was the kid that answered "What can you do to improve your English?"
 with "nafin"..
and just today I had a chuckle when I read that "Homer is giving Marge a hog" (he meant �hug �)

16 Sep 2010     

Apodo
Australia

....and my student wrote about something amusing: It is fanny.

17 Sep 2010