Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > The order that grammatical points are taught    

The order that grammatical points are taught

cheezels
New Zealand

The order that grammatical points are taught

Just curious really as I am a native speaker (New Zealand) and trained as a primary school teacher in that context not ESOL...
I have recently come across a couple of opportunities to teach English as a second language here in Sweden.(My new home). My question to anyone who has been formally trained (especially) is: Is there a suggested order of grammatical areas to cover? A long term plan if you like. I know that I will be using the Cambridge books as some of the pupils (adults) will be sitting exams and that is great. This is really for my own personal learning and development. (As there are opportunities for all levels and ages here at the moment)
Any websites or links that specifically go over long term planning and suggested order of grammatical areas to be taught would be greatly appreciated.Tongue

30 Nov 2008      

Helen McK
Ireland

Hello Cheezels Smile

I�ve just uploaded a 5-page grammar overview. 

The order suggested in this is very similar to that of most ESL textbooks.  I�ve included a separate page for elementary, pre-intermediate, Intermediate and upper-intermediate levels.  Hope it�s of some use to you.

30 Nov 2008     

eng789
Israel

I teach esl and the order that I teach grammar is this:  ( for high level classes)

grade 7 - Present Simple, Present Progressive, Past Simple, Future

grade 8 -   Present Simple, Present Progressive, Past Simple, Past Progressive,Future, Passive for all

grade 9 - Present Simple, Present Progressive, Past Simple, Past Progressive,Future, Present Perfect, Past
                Perfect, Past Perfect progressive,  Passive for all  + Reported Speech, Conditionals 1+2

also Adjectives - Comparatives and Superlatives in grade 7
        Adverbs - grade 8
        Word families , suffixesand prefixes, Relative pronouns in grade 9

I hope this helps

30 Nov 2008     

demeuter
Belgium

Hello,

I hope this will help you..

Karina

30 Nov 2008     

cheezels
New Zealand

Thanks for your suggestions. Its not the content that is the problem as I have been teaching for just over 12 years now. But as you know the English language is made up of many different parts and while the adult learners have good structure through the books, the children I have had contact with it�s a different matter in that the teacher decides what and when different aspects should be taught. Books are not used, it is all up to the teacher to provide all activities and worksheets.
There is so much to cover but there must be a suggested structure and plan from the absolute beginner and through...I have looked around a bit but have found nothing of substance. But surely people who train as ESOL teachers must get taught of a suggested structure to their teaching? I am just curious to learn more about the structures and ideology of ESOL compared to the traditional classroom methods, planning and teaching I have been trained in. Purely for my own interest and development. As I didn�t think it would be appropriate or right to use planning, stages, acitivities etc (for example from the UK english curriculum where I have taught the last 8 years) that were meant for native speakers Tongue

30 Nov 2008     

arkel
Ireland

Hi, If you go to the site I suggested in your messenger you�ll find a very comprehensive guide to all people who prepare for Cambridgeesol. There are three exams focused on children with a full syllabus for each one.

30 Nov 2008     

freddie
Canada

As I am  currently doing a little reading on curriculum development in order to develop our curriculum I thought I�d throw in my 2 cents worth. If I understood you, you are curious about the different structures of curriculum development? Of course the structure of what you teach is dependent upon your approach to teaching. The old traditional one is highly structured - the Grammar - Translation method. Others which have resulted as a reaction to the Grammar Translation method are the Functional - where the focus is on cultural and communicative competency and all the grammar and vocabulary is taught in order to achieve competency in cultural situations - introductions, giving directions, ordering in a restaurant. Then of course there is the communicative method where the focus again is on communicative competency. There are others such as the Lexical Theory but there has not been much Lexical curriculum development, rather lexical chunking has been incorporated into other approaches as an add in. Then there is task based curriculums where structures, vocabulary and functions are all taught so that the student can perform a (usually) communicative task successfully. Finally there is the Process Curriculum, where content is negotiated throughout with the student or students as you go, think about a one to one private student. Was this what you were after?  Also I almost forgot there are skills based curriculums - reading writing listening and speaking.

30 Nov 2008     

mena22
Portugal

Very good summary of different teaching approaches. I�ve been using the Task-based approach for the last 12 years. The final task is previously negotiated with the students and everything students learn throughout the set of lessons has to be useful for that final task.

1 Dec 2008     

cheezels
New Zealand

Freddie you explained some really interesting things about diffferent approaches to ESL teaching. But you don�t seem to have an option for me to private message you. I am really interested in finding out more about the approaches you mentioned and wondered if you have any links to websites that I could check out. :-)

1 Dec 2008