Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Communication & the speech flow in the English classroom    

Communication & the speech flow in the English classroom

Montypython
France

Communication & the speech flow in the English classroom

Dear friends,

I would like you to tell me about:

- the word flow in the English classroom (how to make it work, which methods to use, which tips to give yo young teaches?)
(PS: is it "the word flow" or is there a better way to express that in English please?)

- communication in the English classroom.

I �m preparing a lesson on that subject for trainee teachers & would like to have the opinion , ideas of all kinds of teachers from all over the world, to make it more comprehensive & lively & interesting! Smile

I �ll make a summary of all the ideas / tips ... & will put it on mediafire & give you the link on the forum.

THANKS a bunch to you all!!!!:) Hug

Monty.

20 Sep 2010      

Nebal
Lebanon

G �d morning my dear friend,

Classroom teaching isn �t easy. It �s even harder if you �re not doing it in your native language. But you can still communicate effectively if you apply these strategies:

* Speak slowly. Your students will have more time to understand what you �re saying and you �ll have more time to choose your words. It �s fine to be silent for a few seconds, too; pauses let students catch up.

* Look at your students. By maintaining eye contact, you can see if your students are following along as you speak.

* Welcome students � questions on any topic. If your students know that you �re willing to answer questions, they �ll help you be clearer by letting you know when you aren �t.

* Write a short outline of your presentation on the board in advance (or use overhead transparency slides or computer-based slides). This helps students follow along.

* Write each key term on the board (or use slides). Also, make particularly sure that you have the correct pronunciation of the key terms you �re teaching about. Check with a native English speaker in your field and practice those words especially.

Developing fluency in a second language doesn �t happen overnight; it �s a developmental process that occurs over many years. Nobody should expect to speak like a TV announcer right away. Nonetheless, you can accelerate the development of your skills by taking every opportunity to exercise them: Spend a lot of time (both social and academic) with colleagues who are native English speakers. Listen to English television and radio. Even reading the newspaper in English will help develop your language skills. Adults often feel embarrassed when they can �t speak as well in their second language as they can in their native language, but despite those feelings, you should take every opportunity to use English in conversation. As you do this, you will become more comfortable in the classroom and a more effective teacher.

Here are some good sites about communication in the English Classroom :

Hope all the above are useful.
Marie, I �ll send you pdfs and ppts via e-mail. They may be of good use.
Good luck, sweetheart!
YourButterfly  friend

20 Sep 2010     

Montypython
France

Thanks a bunch my dear friend!!!
any more ideas please? Smile

20 Sep 2010     

douglas
United States

I �m not sure of what exactly you are looking for, but I can say that one of my main focuses in the classroom is that the classroom time be used as much as possible for oral work and exercises.  The written grammar stuff can usually be be done as homework.

As Nebal says, the most important part is that you use the language as much as possible. 

I consider the meager 75 minutes a week that I have with my students to be "golden" time and try to use as much of it as possible for conversation.  Basically any topic is okay as long as it generates discussion.  I correct students on the fly, but I don �t necessarily correct every mistake--it is important that they build their confidence (that is probably a good topic to discuss--when do and don �t you correct students � mistakes?).

Douglas 

20 Sep 2010