Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Help,please.    

Help,please.

rose95
Turkey

Help,please.

I have a 10-year-old son who is a 5th grader. Today they had an English lesson in which his teacher told them that the nationality of Finland is Finlandian. And because I had taught him earlier that it is Finnish/Finn , he objected to his teacher. But she wouldn �t accept that it was wrong and said that he was wrong. Now, how must I approach to this situation?

23 Sep 2010      

tech_teacher
Bahamas

Send her a note. It will eliminate any embarrassment. She will be able to make the correction without losing face.Smile

23 Sep 2010     

dareka1
Japan

According to Google translate, "Finlandian" is correct in Basque (Spanish) for Finland, so it is probably used in some languages. Maybe the teacher just picked it up from the wrong language? �

Or she �s unaware that countries and nationalities are not regular (each nationality/adjective depends on the country and knowledge and there is no definitive rule). These mistakes are really easy to make for non-native speakers (and for many native speakers).

23 Sep 2010     

douglas
United States

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finland
Show her this and tell her to look under Demonym in the right column.  But do it it discretely ( a note or e-mail, not in the open).

Douglas

23 Sep 2010     

dareka1
Japan

�I think that it �s a good chance for your daughter to understand that even teachers/everyone make mistakes and that sometimes not correcting a person when they make a mistake is the most appropriate thing to do. I think not correcting your teacher is best, the word is not important enough. Or send her a note separately from your daughter (as tech_teacher said). �

23 Sep 2010     

ELOJOLIE274
France

Dareka1, I totally disagree with you.
When I was 10, my primary school teacher told us that the human body had about 200 bones. Unfortunately for him, I had read a few weeks before that babies were born with over 300 bones and that this number slowly decreased to reach 202 bones at the age of two. I told my teacher that he was wrong, but he ignored me. The following day, I brought him the book I had read, then he did some research and a few days later he announced the class he had been wrong. My parents didn �t get involved - I was ten, and very independent, although not self-confident enough to be proud to have said my teacher was wrong.
we must teach our children/pupils to stand up for the things they think is right! what if a teacher tells his pupils that racism is normal, that our Earth is not in danger - should the children keep quiet and believe everything the teacher says because he is a teacher and they are his pupils...???
rose95 �s example is quite different of course, but she should nonetheless tell - in private - her child �s teacher that people from Finland are Finn/Finnish. the teacher will learn something, and rose �s child will learn that adults can be wrong sometimes, that it �s not a big deal. the other day, one of my students spotted a mistake I had written on the board (i had forgotten a letter when writing a word), he told me, i corrected what was on the board and told him with a smile "oups sorry! I must be tired, thanks" - because i �m only human right? nobody �s perfect!!!
have a nice day

23 Sep 2010