Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Word of the Day- Second try    

Word of the Day- Second try

Apodo
Australia

Word of the Day- Second try

Please don �t just give a dictionary definition - we can all check a dictionary.

The idea of this game is to suggest a meaning WITHOUT looking it up. The most amusing or witty suggestion gets the prize.

New Word of the day is: boustrophedon

25 Sep 2010      

moravc
Czech Republic

Boustrophedon = person who eats at KFC, McD etc... all the time, suffering from obesity.
Please note the pronounciation - it �s an onomatopoeic word - can you hear that? Ye,ye, fatty... Embarrassed

boustro = slangish word for bistro - fast food restaurant
phed on = ancient spelling of "fed on" - "he is fed on vegetable soup."

25 Sep 2010     

Kita19
Portugal

My first try at this game. Here it goes Wink

I agree with moravc. It sounds like a "fatty" word... but also seems like falling from the stairs lol. A big fall.

Adding to that, my definition would be:

Bous = a small town in Luxembourg (yes, it really exists) Wink
Strophed = adj. fed up with a group of verses ("strophe" - group of verses)
on = preposition

Conclusion:

Boustrophedon is a fat person from Bous, Luxembourg, who is "strophed", falls from the stairs and sits on the floor LOL

25 Sep 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

a new kind of genetically created dinosaur

25 Sep 2010     

Mar0919
Mexico

A person who is self centered and likes BOASTING??? Wink

25 Sep 2010     

dima380
Russian Federation

A medicine to increase speed, or 
a someone is tired to hear others boasting...

25 Sep 2010     

mimau
France

" bous "= some sort of a synonym for "boil"so it is a useful tool  you need when you get mad about someone  .It helps you to cool down.You wear it as a hat and you feel much better!

25 Sep 2010     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

�Boustrophedon�

At first glance this word appears to be Greek in origin, but those of you who are widely travelled will know that it does not appear on a Greek menu!  �Chy may lim-oh-nay stoh bal-konay?�  (�Tea, with lemon, on the balcony?�)  Yes!  But the word: �Boustrophedon�?  Never!

I did not write, above, using the Greek alphabet because, as a child, I had a bad linguistic experience.  My Maths teacher made a drawing of a Greek pie, which looked like this Π.  To me, it appeared very unappetising and had no meat in it. 

I soon realised why he taught Maths and not English.  He could not spell �pie�, but spelled it �pi�.  Moreover, he persisted in drawing a circle, (which does look like a British pie), and then he would say: �Pie are square�.

Even though I was very young, I was quite good at English.  He should have said: �A pie is round� or �Pies are round�, not �Pie are square�.

However, I didn�t contradict him!  I knew that he was an active member of the British Association of Sadistic Teachers Administering Regular Degradation, and he had a cane (a bamboo stick), which he used on a regular basis.  Perhaps I should make it clear that the �basis� on which he regularly used the cane, was the �bottom� of some unfortunate boy.

It wasn�t until I was 27, and I left school, that I uncovered the mystery.  A friend told me that he was actually attempting to teach the formula for the area of a circle, ( Π r2 ).

So, as I say, I can confirm categorically that this isn�t a word of Greek origin.

�What language is it?� you ask (if you are still awake).  This ignorance is a clear indication that you have not read the marvellous text-book by Professor Ivor Nachzent, of Berlin, edited by his Turkish wife, Donna Keebab.

The title gives us a clue: �Time flies like an arrow --- but fruit flies like a banana�.

In Chapter 47, the Professor reveals the many anomalies in the English language.

He poses such penetrating questions as: �Why is �abbreviation� a very long word?�  �Is there another word for �synonym�?� and �Why does �monosyllabic� have five syllables?�

In Chapter 93, �Sheep or Sleep�, he lists the many reasons why national groups mispronounce English words.  The largest group is, of course, the English themselves.

Based on his clear evidence, Boust rop hed on is an attempt by a male Spanish speaker to say the words �bust�; �ropa�; �head�; �on�.

�Ropa� is Spanish for �clothing�, and the quick-witted will have noticed that the �ropa� is �not complete�, that part of it has been removed!  I don�t wish to elaborate, because there may be children reading this Forum, but you get the general idea.

�Boustrophedon� = �A very amorous embrace�.

25 Sep 2010     

Mar0919
Mexico

Idthemagicman.... LOL, LOL, LOL, LOL, LOL!!!!! I can �t stop laughing... such an elaborate explanation and SUCH a vivid imagination!!!!! Beer

25 Sep 2010     

Apodo
Australia

And the winner is........IdthemagicmanClap

for a wonderfully complex & detailed answer, especially considering what a difficult childhood & time at school he had - such a long tome at school!
It wasn�t until I was 27, and I left school....

Thanks guys, I enjoyed all your answers.

Definition of BOUSTROPHEDON

: the writing of alternate lines in opposite directions (as from left to right and from right to left)
� boustrophedon adjective or adverb
� bou�stro�phe�don�ic-fē-ˈd�-nik adjective

Greek boustrophēdon, adverb, literally, turning like oxen in plowing, from bous ox, cow + strephein to turn � more at cow
First Known Use: 1699

25 Sep 2010