Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > "Word of the Day" VIBRISSAE    

"Word of the Day" VIBRISSAE

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

"Word of the Day" VIBRISSAE

Vibrissae

Hello, everyone.
Thank you, Apodo!

The Word of the Day is �Vibrissae�.

Is it a noun, a verb, an adjective, an adverb, or even a one-word exclamation? 

Please, submit your definitions, but remember, DO NOT USE a dictionary.  DO NOT SURF the Internet.  It must be your description.  The definition which is wittiest, most comical or possibly the daftest will be chosen as the WINNER.

The Best of Luck.

Les Douglas (ldthemagicman)

Vibrissae

26 Sep 2010      

Mar0919
Mexico

Starting to get hooked on this game! Mmmm... Vibrissae! �You... exhale a "vibratedsigh" ? that is, your breath viiiiiiiiibrates as you sigh? LOL, pay no attention, my brain is tired!!!!

Hugs!!!

Mar

26 Sep 2010     

moravc
Czech Republic

It reminds me names of various families of sea creatures
I think it is a sort of a meduse - a jelly fish which sometimes vomits water quickly to escape from the predator. It is so scared what it shakes, vibrates...

26 Sep 2010     

blizzard1
Denmark

Vibrissae is also known as "The King of Cheeses".

Vibrissae is a kind of cheese similar to Brie. As a matter of fact Brie is a cheap copy of   Vibrissae. Making this cheese is extremely elavorate and it takes several years for it to mature. Only a few people in the world have eaten it because it �s so rare and expensive.  

26 Sep 2010     

Apodo
Australia

As everyone knows Aussies often use shortened versions of words with �ie � added.
Barbie = BBQ,  Cossie = Swimming costume  Mozzie = mosquito 

This word is used when travelling via the capital of Queensland.

We travelled to Straddie vibrissae = We travelled to Stradbroke Island via Brisbane.

I like the idea of a fantastic vibrating brie cheese though! LOL

26 Sep 2010     

leonidas75
Spain

Bris: Circumcision.

Curriculum Vibrissae: Number of times a man has had to answer "No, in spite of this I am NOT Jewish".

26 Sep 2010     

David Lisgo
Japan

It means "thick skinned" for Mr Sae, who is Jewish, had to be circumcised six times before the procedure took.

26 Sep 2010     

yanogator
United States

To build on Leonidas75 �s answer, wouldn �t it then be a circumcision performed by a moyel with shaky hands?

Bruce

26 Sep 2010     

Gia Mel
Chile

It sounds like a bacteria... In Spanish, there is one called "Vibrion Parahemolitico" That is very dangerous and lives in sea Food. Maybe this is anothe kind of bacteria...

See you! 

26 Sep 2010     

SueThom
United States

It �s when a soprano opera singer hits that high "C"  ("ssae" in Aussie-speak) with full vibrato--the C/ssae tone vibrates (tremolo effect).

26 Sep 2010     

catedo
Italy

Too easy! It �s a very famous punk band,  named after the singer �s tongue; he uses to make faces when he sings, he sticks his tongue out and makes it vibrate!

26 Sep 2010     

1    2    Next >