Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > Copyright    

Copyright

RitaWi
Australia

Copyright

I uploaded a worksheet about sea creatures recently (number 449836). The worksheet was reported and removed due to copyright restrictions yet I had obtained all the clipart from free sites. I have since uploaded it again using Microsoft Clipart as I couldn �t remember all the free sites I had used for the previous worksheet. Of course, I don �t know who reported it but maybe some people need to get their facts straight! Has anyone else had this problem?

26 Sep 2010      

CYPRUS!
Cyprus

Hello my friend!

I am Irene from Cyprus. When i read your complaint i decided to answer you because i had the same problem about two months ago. i wanted an answer like you then, but i just be ignored. So i forgot it.....  because i did not have time to write and rewrite the same things.

I advice you to insist with your complaint if you have time, in order to find your right.
Good luck my friend!!!

irene

26 Sep 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

How do you think this problem of ws being removed for not the right reason could be solved? How could moderators make sure they know all the  facts about a ws and where the content comes from? Writing a pm to everyone is out of the question, the process would need to be more streamlined than that, I think. 

26 Sep 2010     

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

Your wss wouldn �t be removed if there weren �t any watermarked clipart. Moderating is very time-consuming and sometimes difficult to decide but all the moderators vote according to rules. So there had to be something against the rules.
As for me - I am really getting tired of people complaining about their wss "unfairly" removed. Of course it happens sometimes, but we are only humans and if I remember well, your ws wasn �t that case.

26 Sep 2010     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Just a note:
Microsoft clipart is legal to use in face to face classroom instruction, but not in artefacts that are published online.  I learned this when I was alerted abut having used microsoft  "free" clipart  in a course by wikieducator.org . I had to redo my online powerpoints using clipart in the public domain or licensed in creative commons.

26 Sep 2010     

s.lefevre
Brazil

After reading day after day the same discussions about copyright, I have come to the conclusion that we can �t use any clipart (even the free ones) if we pucpish them on line. We can only use them privatly, unless we have payed for them. Am I right? I �m really confused and that �s why I havn �t uploaded my worksheets for some times. I �m afraid of breaking a a rules.

26 Sep 2010     

starrr
Brazil

I am afraid that even when you buy CDs with cliparts you can not UPLOAD them in ws in any web sites, you can just use them inside the classrooms so the new contributions should have not any image, just text. if this rule continues I am afraid no more images or pictures and the texts if they are taken from books or web sites.. then we can not share them in any way either. In my side I am not producing anymore any ws since all is being forbiden here lately. We can not use cartoons, we can not use watermarked images, we can not take texts from web sites etc..What can we use?

26 Sep 2010     

yanogator
United States

starrr, you make it sound like a bad thing that Victor wants all the members to obey the law. Copyrights exist for a reason, as do the laws protecting them. As citizens of the world and members of this wonderful site, we need to respect the copyrights and the laws.

Bruce

26 Sep 2010     

juliag
Japan

@ Starr, there are still lots of things we can use to make our worksheets

For the time being we can use any clipart that is not watermarked, though I guess it is safer to use clipart from the public domain. Do you know these sites with public domain clipart:

I find them very useful and they have quite large selections of clipart.

We can also use texts we find on the Internet as long as they are not taken from ESL sites, so we can use any text we find that is  not specifically ESL as long as we add our own tasks. This gives us no end of scope.

It is only fair not to use texts/exercises from other ESL sites, right? Otherwise how can we claim they are our own work? And if it comes to it, we wouldn �t be able to claim fair use with texts from other ESL sites as one of the conditions of fair use is that it doesn �t infringe on the original publisher �s ability to sell their product.

But that still leaves a whole load of non-ESL texts and non-watermarked clipart we can useThumbs Up.

26 Sep 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

Who says you cannot use pictures from CDs you have bought?

26 Sep 2010