Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > COMPLAINT    

COMPLAINT

Mar0919
Mexico

COMPLAINT

Hello to all... well, the reason for this post is to ask moderators to explain a message I got regarding the report of one of my worksheets for "not following the rules of the website"... what surprised me is, that this worksheet is so many months old! It �s weird that so much time has passed and suddenly it was discovered to have something wrong with it??? What �s even weirder, is that the worksheet in question is a review exam I prepared for my own students, that is, this ws wasn �t created at the beginning with the idea to upload it here, but for my own use as part of an activity at my school. It was written word for word by me, and when I decided to share it here, all I did was add color to the page, since I know users here prefer colorful pages. And so many months after, it �s reported????? Mmmmm..... I don �t know, but to me it is very strange. So please, if any of the moderators can please explain this I �d appreciate it very much. It �s not because of the points. If moderators choose to do so, I don �t mind if they are not given back. It �s the action that bothers me.

I have another complaint. Is it ethical to let the person whose worksheet was reported, know "who" reported it???? I think not. I think it �s veeeeeeeeery unethical and unprofessional. I reported a worksheet, but if the moderators go back and re-read it, I ASKED: is this allowed? I didn �t straight out accuse anyone. Once the moderators check one ws against the other, it is they who decide whether it is a copy or not. So I think very, again, unethical, to let the person know who reported it. I got a PM from this person complaining about my "report".

I think these kinds of actions, attitudes is what demoralize some members who have chosen to abandon the site. I mean, there �s just so many bits and pieces about who can or can �t  say what �s on their mind here, some opinions are taken with humor, some with seriousness, but others are brushed off like, oh come on, keep quiet!!!! (not exact words, but feeling)

But... now with this report issue, I must confess I am very disappointed.

Regards to all... have a nice Sunday.

Mar

26 Sep 2010      

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

Moderators do NEVER tell who reported the wss. The only reason someone could find out is that the person, whose ws was reported is a moderator herself/himself. But still I think it is not OK if the person misuses its positions as a moderator and sends a PM to the person, who reported it. If you are sure you reported the ws right, maybe you should tell Victor about such behaviour.
As for reporting old wss: They can be reported if they are copies or they contain watermarked clipart. In that case it doesn �t matter how old the ws is.

26 Sep 2010     

coyote.chus
Spain

Hi,
I �m not a moderator, but I guessed it was you who reported my printable, because it said "the layout is clearly taken from my worksheet city map". So I checked "city map"  on the search option. I didn �t do it to know who had reported my printable, but just to understand why it had been reported, as I had not taken anybody �s layout. I didn �t even know your worksheet.

Well, and this is what I found: your ws had a map identical to the map I had chosen ON THE INTERNET. That is not the layout. You took the map from the web; I took the map from the web, from the same place. But if you had checked my ws thoroughly you would have realised that both wss had nothing in common.

You didn �t check it, and moderators didn �t check it either. And my ws was removed. Unfair, isn �t it.

This is your ws:
http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=423196#thetop

And this is the place where you and I took the SAME map:

http://www.englishadvantage.info/lesson-plans/giving-directions

So... maybe both wss should have been reported for having copyrighted images. Or none of them.
Anyway... my worksheet has been removed and there is nothing I can do. I wrote you a pm just to let you know this. I think I wasn �t rude at all. And now you �re bringing all this to the forum. You could have answered to my pm better.

Have a good night.
Chus

26 Sep 2010     

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

Oh, I can see what happened now. And I just reported mar �s ws, because it �s taken from an ESL site, which is against the rules:o((

26 Sep 2010     

zailda
Brazil

Hi!

For old contributions we only have two options to report:

It �s a copy from (webpage)

It �s a copy from (a book)

NOTE: The worksheets uploaded after the new rules were set provide other options, so it �s OK to report them for other reasons.

When we raised this issue on the forum, Victor told us it would be time-consuming and unfair to the ones who uploaded many worksheets BEFORE the new rules to update each one, so he decided only allow us to report / remove wss proved as copies.

In the past we didn �t know who reported / commented a ws, so some members took the opportunity to get away with perfect unfair reportings and nasty comments as well, due to other reasons than the site rules. To make things clear and to make each person take the responsibility for his own acts, he provided our "signature" next to our report / comments on the reporting page.

If someone has something to say / comment about our actions I guess the best way to do it is sending a PM, better than the forum or the reporting page. If the content of PMs is abusive / innapropriate, just copy and resend it to Victor and he �ll know what decision to take after analizing it.

26 Sep 2010     

Mar0919
Mexico

MJ Misa, thank you very much for the time you �ve taken to answer my post. And, well, I guess then, that was the case of the PM I got. I was surprised by the PM, because, well, I do feel all the people here are wonderful, I have received so much support, and also have made such beautiful friends here, that when this happened, I was shocked!
And about my own reported worksheet, I truly don �t think it �s the case that it has watermarked clipart, I have gone over it with a magnifying glass (LOL!!!) and I see  none of that. But oh, well. Thanks for your explanation that time is not an issue to report a worksheet. Now I can understand that.

As for the other issue about the moderator, I �m deciding not to report it to Victor, because I do not want to make the snowball any bigger. It was just the attitude, the action that bothered me, now that you explained which is the only way that they had found out, I apologize to all other moderators, for thinking that it had come from them. I really do appreciate all the hard work you all do in checking each and every ws, that must be so tiring, and time consuming, that this site is what it is, thanks to great people like you.

Hugs,

Mar

26 Sep 2010     

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

Mar,
you have nothing to thank for. As I wrote about, I had to report your ws for breaking the rules:o(

26 Sep 2010     

dennismychina
China

This is quite interesting. If both work sheets were reported and subsequently removed and they were both original scripts and neither had watermarks why then were they removed?

I�m just being curious.

It is nice however that a reason for the removal is given, if of cause the reason is understood. �Not following the rules of the site� seems to be a bit vague.

Enjoy.

26 Sep 2010     

zailda
Brazil

"Please, don �t use pictures taken from other ESL websites or books, even if you add your own exercises."

27 Sep 2010     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi Mar

From everything you wrote... I took note of this :

I quote

" I reported a worksheet, but if the moderators go back and re-read it, I ASKED: is this allowed? I didn �t straight out accuse anyone. Once the moderators check one ws against the other, it is they who decide whether it is a copy or not. So I think very, again, unethical, to let the person know who reported it. I got a PM from this person complaining about my "report".

You reported and you don �t want people to know that the worksheet was reported by you.

That is EXACTLY what I call lack of  ethic.

Yesterday, we had here, in this forum, a real flame of ethic, by one of the members I most admire.

Have a look at this , Mar:

http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=22656

Well done, Silvanija.Heart   Hug   Heart

Thanks for being that way.

Linda

27 Sep 2010     

zailda
Brazil

Congrats, Silvanija. I �m also with you.

27 Sep 2010     

1    2    Next >