Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Word of the Day    

Word of the Day

PhilipR
Thailand

Word of the Day

After the dust of the skirmishes of yesterday had settled, I was declared winner of this dubious word game. Anyway, here goes.

New word of the day: WINKLEPICKER

Please post your definitions here. Just to remind you, DON�T use a dictionary (or the Internet). The most humourous or creative definition wins.

PREVIOUS WORD OF THE DAY: Bombilation

Definition: It �s what Taliban commanders or other terrorist leaders say when one of their number has successfully blown up something - if they �re around to hear it of course.

Bombilations, dear (name of the culprit), right on target!

After that, they might sing a slightly adapted version of the song:

For he�s a jolly good fellow (3x)
Which nobody can survive!

30 Sep 2010      

SueThom
United States

Winklepicker!?!  Where do y �all find these words?

OK, well, I �m not posting my 1st thought, since I �m sure it would (and should!) be censored.

After that, I thought about periwinkle--it �s a color, but it �s also a flower, so maybe it �s someone who picks bouquets of periwinkles.

On the other hand, I think a winkle is some sort of seafood, so maybe it �s one of those cute little forks--you know, when they put whole sets of cutlery at each place setting--the little fork that you pick up or eat winkles with.

Or a winkle could be your favorite uncle who always winks at you behind your mother �s back.  But then, what would a winklepicker be?

Sue

30 Sep 2010     

PhilipR
Thailand

Let me remind all of you that we are NOT looking for the real definition, so don �t spoil the game by giving the right explanation or copying from a dictionary.

The wackier, the better. Like the ones above for example.

30 Sep 2010     

douglas
United States

Winklepicker.

As we all know Rip van Winkle slept in the forest for twenty years and awoke to find his entire world had changed. 
What we don �t know is that some people knew he was there but chose not to wake him.  They didn �t wake him because early in the mornings a very unique form of mushroom would grow from his mossy, overgrown coat.  These mushrooms were very tasty and had an intoxicating effect.  People that ate these mushrooms would return to the village telling stories of how they had found Van Winkle and how he was sleeping in the forest and covered with mushrooms.  As this occurred more and more often, the townspeople began to call these people that had allegedly "picked" mushrooms from ol � Rip van Winkle  as "Winklepickers".  Thus the moniker came into the English langage to indicate a person that seemed a bit out of touch with his world and told tall, nonsensical tales.

30 Sep 2010     

Mariethe House
France

Tonguetwister of the day:"How many winkles would a winkle picker pick if a winklepecker would pick winkles?"

I guess Douglas story is very interesting and proves he has a lot of imagination but honestly, who would believe it?LOL

The proper definition was given to me by an old African lady and she can �t pronounce the letter"R"

"A winkle picke is a barbaic plastic sugey instument to pick winkles on old ladies � faces . I do need one ugently!"LOL

30 Sep 2010     

dawnmain
United Kingdom

the real definition is pretty wacky - shoes so pointy that you can use them to eat seafood.  I used to wear them!

30 Sep 2010     

PhilipR
Thailand

My own definition: A winklepicker is a modern troglodyte, usually terrible at reading comprehension, lurking on Internet sites to spoil the fun. Often has a ridiculous or nonsensical username.

30 Sep 2010     

sarahjane68
Germany

I am with dawnmain on this. As far as I know, they are very pointed shoes. Didn �t mods in England wear them back in the sixties? I remember seeing family photos taken at that time and the people (some of them were mods) in the photos were wearing them. I confess to having a pair of winklepickers when I was a teenager. They were so pointed they nearly crippled my poor toes but hey, all in the name of fashion!

30 Sep 2010     

Poohbear
Germany

Hey Philip, can you participate today, too...?Confused

It �s a torturer who wrinkles the poor victims until they confess everything he wants to hear.

30 Sep 2010     

millmo
France

It �s a mystical creature that goes flying through the night grading all the stars, "T" standing for tremendous. Non shiney stars are called winkles and therefore all the shinest stars get to be awarded the "T" allowing them to
 T-Winkle

30 Sep 2010     

David Lisgo
Japan

Some people think they are special shoes for kicking winkles off rocks , but that is far from the truth.  Actually it speaks of lewd old men who try to pick young women up. It �s a French word that is only used by men, young women call them "wrinkle pickers".  "Wink-le-pickers are rich old Frenchmen who imagine that with a look and a wink they can pick up any young woman.

winklepicker (masculine): sugar daddy
winklepicker (feminine): dirty old man

30 Sep 2010     

1    2    Next >