Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > COMMENTS    

COMMENTS

lolelozano
Argentina

COMMENTS

good afternoon everybody,

I just want to leave a quick note today. I�ve just found out, that out of 170 and 120 downloads in my last uploads there were only 5 COMMENTS. I mean, I don�t download much, really, I�ve only downloaded at least 160 worksheets en 2 years, but everytime I do so, I leave a comment.

My question is? Is it to much to ask colleagues, to be polite? Not saying people are not polite, don�t get me wrong, but at least say thank you

Maybe I�m wrong, I don�t know what others think about this. It�s just sth kind I believe.

Have a nice day! Cheers

30 Sep 2010      

coyote.chus
Spain

I agree with you. It doesn �t take so long to say just "Thank you". Besides, you only have to write the "t", the rest of the words appear as if the message had been previously recorded or copied. I think it is a matter of politeness, yes.
Chus.

30 Sep 2010     

yolprica
Spain

This question has been talked about many times before and it �s clear there are two ways of thinking: those who are convinced that we should thank people for their work because it �s a sort of recognition we all need, otherwise we lose interest and others who think that we should be grateful enough because people downloaded your work and that �s their way to say they like their job. Of course, I like thanking people because it doesn �t take any effort and you reward the person who worked for you.
It �s a question of different approaches
Yolanda

30 Sep 2010     

donapeter
Romania

You know......there are different cultures here and we all act as we are used to. More than that, we all have our own set of values (even if some of them do not seem to be "values" for the others) and our expectations. Saying Thank you can mean a lot or can mean nothing at all.  Especially when you ask for it! 
You know, maybe we should see our wss as a film. So many people watch it, but only a few like it. What about the director or the actors complaining for not getting so much attention?
A great accomplishment would be not to write a THANK YOU at the end of a ws that we download and maybe we use it or not, many people do not even read it properly after downloading it,  but letting the author know how useful it was after using it at the class!!!!! 

Van Gogh himself didn �t get too many Thank yous during his life, it didn �t mean he was not talented enough and his works weren �t masterpieces. 

I don�t want to be mean, but what about someone who downloads the wss by mistake. Must he let a comment too? Something like: Sorry....Downloaded by mistake. Really don�t need it. The preview was too tricky for me. 

30 Sep 2010     

zailda
Brazil

Dona, you �ve got a great sense of humor. "Sorry... downloaded by mistake." would make me laugh until I cry.

BTW, since you upload your work here and are able to download and use the other members � work as well, some may think they have thanked enough when sharing their work with us.

Of course I do appreciate comments and always leave mine when dowloading someone �s work even if I feel I �ll never thank enough for all the good I receive from this site.

30 Sep 2010     

Lindax
Ukraine

"Feeling gratitude and not expressing it is like wrapping a present and not giving it."
-- William Arthur Ward, author and teacher

"If the only prayer you say in your life is �thank you, � that would suffice." -- Meister Eckhart

"Try leaving a friendly trail of little sparks of gratitude on your daily trips. You will be surprised how they will set small flames of friendship that will be rose beacons on your next visit."
-- Dale Carnegie

"When a person doesn �t have gratitude, something is missing in his or her humanity. A person can almost be defined by his or her attitude toward gratitude."-- Elie Wiesel�

Life without thankfulness is devoid of love and passion. Hope without thankfulness is lacking in fine perception. Faith without thankfulness lacks strength and fortitude. Every virtue divorced from thankfulness is maimed and limps along the spiritual road." -- John Henry Jowett

"The best kind of giving is thanksgiving." -- Chesterton

It is not happiness that makes us grateful, but the gratefulness that makes us happy."
-- Albert Clarke, photographer

30 Sep 2010     

lolelozano
Argentina

Nice phrases! - Well done!

Have a wonderful evening. Cheers
(evening here in Argentina)

30 Sep 2010     

David Lisgo
Japan

Thank you Inna for those quotations.  I don �t ask for thank yous, but I do appreciate them and feel close to those who regularly leave comments about my work. It is these people who are my friends.

I don �t download often, this is my bad as by not downloading I lose more opportunities of being thankful and making new friends.

1 Oct 2010