Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Word of the Day    

Word of the Day

ituska
Slovakia

Word of the Day

Thank you, stexstme, for the great honour Smile I am so surprised I will hardly fall asleep tonight Wink

I will rather start the new topic now, beause I usualy have really busy mornings (well, who doesn �t? Wink).

So do not forget: NO INTERNET, NO DICTIONARIES, only your Sherlock Holmes � skills of deduction, induction or any other -duction. Let �s make it fun LOL

The word for the next day is

JUMENTOUS

I am ready to read your ideas... Smile

3 Oct 2010      

Fallen Angel
Portugal

I know this one! In Portuguese we have the word "jumento", which means donkey, so my guess is that it is the same as dumb, unintelligent. "She �s a jumentous girl.", she �s not very bright. 
Hugs
Cristina

3 Oct 2010     

TheSilentMan
France

In French, "une jument" is a female horse. So it is assuredly related to horses.
So is it someone who behaves like a horse / donkey ? Or someone who is ill ? (the French translation for a raging fever is "une fi�vre de cheval").

No more ideas for the moment........ 

4 Oct 2010     

gloriawpai
Brazil

jumentous = related to a donkey
Maybe it �s a tricky one. Let �s say, it �s something heavy that a donkey manages to carry. 

4 Oct 2010     

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

Well i remember i once worked at a school where the female and male teachers had to share the same bathroom, and every time this male teacher came out the bathroom smelled sooooooo bad that one of the female teachers used that word though i dont remember exactly what she said.  since some members here relates the word to donkey/horse and  i can still remember the stench of that bathroom i figure this word must have something to do with smelling like a horse/donkey.   

4 Oct 2010     

Diana Parracho
Portugal

Hmmm jumentous, as the other members have already said, has to do with donkeys probably...

I would say that a jumentous person is someone who has to do a lot of hard work, usually within short deadlines, always supervised by the owner. He/she doesn �t receive the importance and respect that he/she deserves and is always taken for granted. He/she works for looooong hours and needs tons of patience. But, at the end of the day, he/she feels happy because being jumentous is what they like.

In Portugal a jumentous person is a teacher. Big smile Hehe

4 Oct 2010     

SueThom
United States

It sounds to me like it might be related to "humongous" or "ginormous". (In the same family, perhaps, as monstrous, tremendous, enormous, and gigantic.)

4 Oct 2010     

douglas
United States

asking someone for a breath mint (mentos are a chewable breathmint):

Hey man, would jumentous? (would you  mento us?) 

4 Oct 2010     

valentinaper
Greece

@ douglas: Hillarious, man, you rule!!!Thumbs Up

As for today �s word, I have to say it sounds a bit like "humangous", so I �ll deduct that it is an adjective to describe sth really huge.

e.g. Did you hear about the new skyscraper being built in Dubai? It �ll be jumendous!

4 Oct 2010     

Zora
Canada

Jumentous: from the word "juicy" and "tremendous" -  used to refer to something that is tremendously "juicy" - as in hot gossip.

Ann: Hey Janet, did you hear that Paul is dating Corine �s mother-in-law?
Janet: Oh my god! She �s like 25 years older than him!
Ann: I know. Isn �t that just jumentous! LOL

4 Oct 2010     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Well that looks like some kind of texting under the desk:
one student to another when a teacher noticed he/she was not paying attention and asked to repeat what she has just said: "what �s she jumentous?" (just mentioned to us)
Sophia

4 Oct 2010