Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > OPPOSITES -PRESCHOOL     

OPPOSITES -PRESCHOOL

Kohaku
Japan

OPPOSITES -PRESCHOOL

Hello all!! I have been asked by my boss to try and opposites lesson with my youngest students. I thought about using water and providing different objects to see if they would float or sink. However, she didn �t feel this would be safe with 3-4 year olds. I thought it would be fine since their parents are there to help. Geek

I am low on ideas and have tried to research ideas from other teachers. I am at a loss. I think of course it would be nice for this age to know the language for the opposites in this world but I am unsure how to make it interesting and fun outside of flashcards. Confused

Anyone with and idea???? I have great kids and would love to involve Mom �s as much as possible. All advice welcomed!!! Embarrassed

4 Oct 2010      

cheezels
New Zealand

ooooooooooooooooooooh the water idea is sooooooooooo fun and every pre school as far as I know in English speaking countries always has a water tray to play with.

What about bags with objects inside that they cannot see?

small/big
soft/hard
Long/short
smooth/ rough or prickly
dry/wet (using sauce or something like noodles that are gooey)
etc....

The fun is putting your hands into something that you cannot see! I still don �t see the problem with small containers of water though like tupperware or small bowls of water that you could still do the floating and sinking thing. I would approach the boss with a compromise on the size of the water containers :-)

4 Oct 2010     

Kohaku
Japan

Thats a wonderful game idea!!! Why didn �t I think of that?? I love, love, love it!! I am going to give it a shot and see how my children respond after they have learned some vocabulary.

4 Oct 2010