Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > To whom it may concern    

To whom it may concern

zailda
Brazil

To whom it may concern

I don�t want to judge anyone and I�m out of the �politeness� discussion � with people from so many countries and different cultures, it�ll be virtually impossible to agree with all the members.

In the past I � as some members are now � got bothered with so many complaints about points and worksheets being removed and posted an image that was considered disrespectful for some and was delightful for others who were as bothered as I was.

It was my way to see some humor from an unpleasant situation, but sense of humor may vary from person to person, so� At the end the person  who I should have respected in some members� opinion was removed because he was only a cheater er� a person who borrowed other persons� work and forgot to mention it when uploading.

I haven�t forgotten that occasion � although I�m 53 now I have an excellent memory indeed � but as I teach my students, I�m used to learning from situations and always try to act in a wiser way in the future. I�m not the one who persists in the same mistake forever.

Now I refrain from commenting a thread if I�m not in a good mood, or if I�m likely to respond in a rude manner. I know there are many other members with much more patience and they�ll certainly answer in a kind manner, so no one will get hurt.

I�m no one to give advices, and the only thing I have to support my idea is my own experience. It would be bad if I didn�t learn anything from it, but I try to make lemon juice (or �caipirinha�) from every lemon I get in life. The ones who judge me or accuse me don�t even know the good they do: they give me the opportunity to learn and become a better person.

But � and there�ll be always a �but� � I�m afraid I have to give one, even if no one pays attention to it: when something bothers you on the forum (a complaint, maybe) but it�s not direct related to YOU, let it go� Others, who are in a good mood, will answer to it and everything will turn out just fine.

Have a nice day / evening

8 Oct 2010      

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

Dear Zailda,
I guess I belong to those your thread may concern. But as I am �only�34, I guess I have to grow up to become wiser.Wink

Now seriously - I know exactly what you mean, but when I see three identical threads on the main page, all of them asking the bCensoredy question �Where are my points� I am getting crazy. Not only because these people have (probably) NEVER read the rules, but because they don�t even read the forum. Because if they did, the would not have to ask the same again and again.
But I have learnt something already. I ignore the stupid threads Caulipot (you know who I mean, don�t you?Wink) keeps abusing the forum with. That is a kind of progress, isn�t it?

Have a great day, MichaelaHug

8 Oct 2010     

MarionG
Netherlands

a wise attitude indeed, zailda. thank you

8 Oct 2010     

joy2bill
Australia

Now if age equals wisdom I am a genius! Ha! Ha!

It �s frustrating seeing the same old posts but we need to remember that for the person posting it it is a major concern because for them it is the first time.

Let �s all agree with Zailda and have patience and understanding.
If you �re feeling less than 100% just ignore the post...don �t buy into it!

Just my tuppence worth from one old dinosaur.
Cheers Joy

8 Oct 2010     

Lindax
Ukraine

There`s smth that bothers me�and it �s not directly related to me, but I can`t let it go� �I highly respect your contribution to the English teaching cause, and I don`t want to see you frustrated on some ill-bred member`s pranks. You`re very wise just to let them go and ignore them, even if you aren`t very patient! Thank you for all your efforts! I just wanted to let you know I`m one of your steadfast friends and admirers.

Have a wonderful day!

8 Oct 2010     

Cartuxa
Portugal

Dear Zailda, thank you so much for sharing your wisdom with us, for all the lemons you give us! keep up your bright work and spirit, it �s a pleasure to learn from you!

8 Oct 2010     

serene
Greece

Well said, zailda! Approve

8 Oct 2010     

David Lisgo
Japan

Zailda I quite agree with you; it is a kind of death of self to keep your council especially when others have disageed with you in a critical or disrespectful way.  If it happens to me I rarely respond but rather go hide in my shell (a safe place to be), but I always come out again.

In general I think teachers are not patient, we just practise patience.

8 Oct 2010     

zailda
Brazil

Well, I mentioned my long and numerous years on Earth because - for a misterious reason for me - people tend to believe we stop learning at a certain age. If that �s true, I haven �t reached it yet. Wink

Michaela, my thread wasn �t especially directed to anyone, but I learned the hard way it doesn �t pay to participate in every single thread. For now I observe more than I join and - believe me - it �s more comfortable to learn from mistakes - especially when they are the others � Wink

I don �t give to the ones who are eager to attack me the opportunity to do so. At least not very often... I avoid the chances to be harshy or rude, and - for sure - don �t engage in disputes I know will lead the participants nowhere.

As I have learned, those occasions only give the others the munition they think they need to attack us in the future, even if the matter is not related to the situation in any way. Of course logic is not among their qualities or concerns, but they won �t lose the chance to return to old disputes (or try to) even risking to look a little silly.

Of course everyone is free to be as rude or impatient as they want to, but be sure to do it where / when nobody can see, or they �ll accuse you of being an imperfect human being (as they believe they aren �t).

8 Oct 2010     

David Lisgo
Japan

Zailda I believe that you are at a wonderful age. I �m a little older than yourself and I can say my life has never been so full.  Have you ever listened to Sara Lawrence-Lightfoot? What a woman! She speaks so well about what one is capable of once you hit the half century.  She has a number of podcasts online, here �s one http://libwww.freelibrary.org/podcast/?podcastID=371 ,she �s a good speaker. I haven �t lived in an English speaking community for over 30 years so listening to people like Sara keeps my listening skill up, though I imagine I would be speechless if I ever met her.

Sorry if I �m taking this a little off topic.

8 Oct 2010     

zailda
Brazil

Thanks, David!

I �ve heard and already bookmarked it.

8 Oct 2010