Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > The Chalice Passeth...Word of the Day    

The Chalice Passeth...Word of the Day

almaz
United Kingdom

The Chalice Passeth...Word of the Day

The word is KILFUDDOCH. A wee clue: it can relate to this place, so if you can work the ESLP forum into your definition, so much the better.

And remember, no lifts from the dictionary.

Have fun!

Alex

14 Oct 2010      

elderberrywine
Germany

What a dangerous word. It �s an invitation to kill - to kill the people who get in a fuddle (=mixed up) concerning copyright issues on ESL.
Translation: kill the guys who don �t see clear on copyright issues, steal other people �s material and upload it as theirs.
Kill in a virtual sense, of course.

14 Oct 2010     

yetigumboots
Germany

Well that easy.... as I posted yesterday I was getting frustrated cos my worksheets would not upload as I made them... So this word could be used very literally--
KILL..... (speaks for itself)
Fudding (wont translate that in case I upset anyone .))
Document... (worksheets)

So I shall use this word often when kicking computer at the same time. LOL

Hugs Yeti x

14 Oct 2010     

douglas
United States

Kil - kill
fudd- fuddy duddy
och - ouch

Killfuddoch: Someone that kills the fun and makes themselves look stupid doing it.

14 Oct 2010     

David Lisgo
Japan

Well, I don �t think the word has anything to do with killing.  It �s obviously a gaelic word otherwise why the "wee clue" and it certainly sounds like a place or family name like Kilmarnock or the infamous Dr. Kildare.
Okay I have it.

Kilfuddoch is a state of being that is attained by docking yourself to your computer screen whilst being connected to ESLPrintables.  It is akin to a ecstatic religous experience, almost a drunken fuddle.

kil: church of
fud: dizziness
doch: dock

kilfuddoch: a state of ecstasy whilst being connected to ESLPrintables

14 Oct 2010     

serene
Greece

kil: kill
fudd: Elmer Fudd (the Looney Tunes character)
och: alas (in Greek as well as in Scottish Gaelic)

kilfuddoch: Alas, Elmer has finally killed the gway wabbit!

14 Oct 2010     

edrodmedina
United States

Fuddoch was one of the most infamous agents in the great war bewtween the US and Canada. Having infiltrated into the US countless times despite the super tight security of the US/Canadian border and reeking havoc at will, the order finally was given (by none other than General Mills himself) to Kill Fuddoch at any cost. And so the phrase kilfuddoch has come to mean to get rid of a pests. It is now  a term mainly used by exterminators in reference to really pesky vermin. And that �s the truth.

14 Oct 2010     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

A.   �Can you mention 3 fish whose names begin with a �K� and end with a �K�?"

B.   �1, �Killer Shark�. 2, �King-Size Haddock�. 3, �Kilmarnock�."

A.   �Kilmarnock isn�t a fish!�

B.   �Yes it is!  It�s a place!�                                (PLAICE = The name of a fish)

This erudite request was last posed in the British Parliament, at �Prime Minister�s Question Time�, but was ruled �Out of Order�, for fear of contravening the European Fisheries Rules, by infringing the Human Rights of fish!

But this debilitating debate drives direct to �KILFUDDOCH�.

Kilfuddoch is a tiny island, (�islandette� as the French say), situated in East Strathclyde Laird�s Parish, Bonny Scotland.  It is unusual, because it is the only island in Europe entirely surrounded by pasture-land.

ESLP is known to all academics as, �Easel-pee�.  It has this soubriquet because, on the island, there is an animal, a very small weasel, the �easel�, which has constant bladder problems!

How do I know all this?  Because my mother was born in Kilfuddoch and I am her proud descendant and therefore a Member of ESLP.

Les

14 Oct 2010