Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Word of the Day - DEFENESTRATE    

Word of the Day - DEFENESTRATE

Greek Professor
Greece

Morning....

Yep...I think I �m going to defen(d) the man wearing strate perfume...

Now as for onomatopoeia...Of course it�s another GREEK word...I won�t go for this as I know it...

15 Oct 2010     

stexstme
France

@Douglas,
I love your definition!!!LOL
BTW, we have the same words in French ;o))Please people, keep pretending you do not know! 

15 Oct 2010     

Mariethe House
France

@ Sylvie: You should go back to bed you naughty girl !Smile

Take care.

15 Oct 2010     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Defenestrate

Defenestrate is what philologists call, �a lone-word�. This means that it must be used alone and cannot be used with other words!  It is not gregarious!  (I realise that the majority of you can see that �defenestrate� is not �gregarious�, but I think that it is important to highlight this!)

Furthermore, �onomatopoeia� is not transferable across language!  Many of you have inadvertently tried to send it by e-mail, without success!

Be careful!  After telling a joke, �Ha-ha� in English possibly becomes �He-he� in Spanish, (and in Russian it might even become: �Could you say that again, please?�)

I�ll give you an example:

�What does the Mexican shout when he raises the carpet?�

�Underlay!  Underlay!�

I bet that, of the 256,382 Members logged on now, approximately 7 of you recognise that it was an attempt at a joke, and 256, 372 think that all Mexicans are carpet-cleaners!  (The other 3 of you are asleep!)

Humour does not travel well!  If you have tried to post a joke-book to your little nephew on his birthday, you will know this.

Do you remember the TV.  Programme, �The Flintstones�, where Fred Flintstone constantly repeats his catch-phrase: �Yabba-Dabba-Doo!� to his cave-man friend, Barney Rubble?

Certain areas of the Middle East have curtailed broadcasts of this programme.

Why?

Because the people of Dubai don�t understand the humour.  But the people of Abu Dhabi do!

This leads me neatly to our Word of the Day.

Imagine the scene!  Two little boys of West Indian descent, (they arrived here by plane), have a toy sports-car each, (they both have a Toy-ota), and are playing �Garages�.  The two cars crash!  Bang!  Wallop!

The front of one car is damaged and must go to the Kwite-Kwik-Fit Garage.

The first boy gives a one-word instruction, in Caribbean Creole:

�Defenestrate!�  ("The fender straight!�)  (�Please, would you be so kind as to straighten out my front fender/bumper?  Thank you!")

The second boy takes out a hammer and, sitting on the mat, begins hitting the front fender/bumper.  Sadly he misses, and instead, hits his thumb.  �Ouch!  Boo-Hoo!�  He gets such a fright that he has �an accident� on the mat.

�Onomatopoeia� ... ...  immediately he is �On a mat, A Pee-er� and not a �A Garage Work-er�.

�Defenestrate� and �Onomatopoeia� fit closely together, like �cogs� in a machine, so they demonstrate Cognitive Philology.

15 Oct 2010     

Mariethe House
France

Les; I �ll give you the Nobel Prize !!

15 Oct 2010     

agagug
Canada

Les... your mind at work is quite a wonder to witness.

I am not worthy; however, I praise you Lord of the Greater Wit!

Agagug

16 Oct 2010     

< Previous   1    2