Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > "Word of the Day" MONDAY    

"Word of the Day" MONDAY

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

"Word of the Day" MONDAY

�chrestomathic�

I�m sorry for the late submission, but I�ve only just discovered that there was no �Word of the Day� posted earlier.

This is today�s �Word�: is it a noun, verb, adjective, adverb, or what?

Try to define its meaning in the wittiest, most comical, or most stupid way.  If you know what it means, don�t tell us, please, but give us a daft definition of it, instead.

Remember, NO INTERNET, NO DICTIONARIES � just ideas from your head!

The Member with the best definition will go on and choose tomorrow�s Word.  The Winner will be announced at Midnight, Spanish Time.

The Word is �chrestomathic�.

Good Luck!

Les

18 Oct 2010      

edrodmedina
United States

chrestomathic--- an automated toothpaste (Crest) dispenser

18 Oct 2010     

douglas
United States

Ed �s is too good-- I can �t top it.

OBTW: what happened to apricate?

18 Oct 2010     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

I posted a WINNER, as shown below, but there was no reply, so I �ve been obliged to set another "Word of the Day".

Les

18 Oct 2010     

GIOVANNI
Canada

chrestomathic

As October is breast cancer awarness month, I believe a chrestomathic is
an automatic machine that lets you rest your chest  on a mat when you have a mammogram.

18 Oct 2010     

olgumco
Colombia

Chrestomatic, it is an adjective. from the Latin Cresta, meaning the spikes of a punk hairstyle. Chrestomatic refers to a gel especially used to avoid the spikes to become weak during the day and give the user a fresh punk style all day long. 

The chrestomatic gel comes in different colors and exotic scents!

18 Oct 2010     

Ide_Bere
Mexico

Chrestomatic is the person who is in charge to choose the most embarazing 15 seconds of any program to show them in a celeb news show.

Someone like this:

Bere

18 Oct 2010     

douglas
United States

Thanks for the info Les--I missed that post.

18 Oct 2010     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

2 Ed:Clap

My definition: At school we used to have texbooks on Literature, which had compilations of literary works. We called them chrestomatia. So I guess chrestomathic is an adjective describing the looks and state of mind of a student who has been studying his chrestomatia all night.
"Hi, pal! You look so chrestomathic today. Have been up all night, eh?"
Sophia

18 Oct 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

Well, in music, a chromath is an expert on western-tempered 12-tone scales, but if that person is, for example, a New Yorker, their expertise is obviously coloured by the local time zone (Eastern Standard Time, or EST). If this person wants to question a particular musical theory, they will do it in a typically robust NY fashion ( �Whaddaya mean outta toon, you **@$*@&*!). 
This type of interruption (originating on the east coast and all too common, alas, in the chromath community these days) has led to a new coinage which reflects its intrusive nature: �chr - EST - omath �, the adjective, of course being �chrestomathic �.

I thank yew.

18 Oct 2010     

ituska
Slovakia

ch (chronic) + rest + math

chrestomathic - is a person who suffers from the serious disease mathmania and a doctor suggested him/her to take a chronic rest from maths (the longer the better) LOL
that �s why I dont teach maths anymore Wink

18 Oct 2010     

1    2    Next >