Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Word of the Day - 20th October - Retread    

Word of the Day - 20th October - Retread

almaz
United Kingdom

Word of the Day - 20th October - Retread

Today �s word is:

SNOWCLONE

First shift efforts here.

I �ll post the meaning and winner later this evening.

Good lick (as someone said earlier)!

Alex

20 Oct 2010      

tastybrain
Taiwan

A snowclone is the reflection you see of yourself in your snowcone. 

20 Oct 2010     

juliag
Japan

No two snowflakes can be alike, I �ve heard, so I think it �s slang for "impossible" or "contradiction in terms," as in:

Jay: I think the new girl in class really likes me.
Tony: Snowclone (=impossible), she �s way to cool for you.

Sheila: I kind of like Stacy except for when she brags on about how cool her boyfriend is and she just done that all the time.
May: Snowclone (=contradiction in terms)

20 Oct 2010     

franknbea
United Kingdom

Two inhabitants of Pitcairn Island in the South Pacific discussing the circus.

Native 1; "Hey mon, Me hears de circus is a comin � to da aisland.
Native 2: "Me hears dat too but pay it no mind mon it �s lies."
Native 1; " Why you say it �s lies now mon? wada about that there clowne?
Native 2: "No mon, you is mistaken, that SNOWCLONE, dat be da new Pidgin English teacher mon."

20 Oct 2010     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Snowclone

The moment I saw the word �Snowclone� I said to myself �Hello!�  (This is evidence of a Split-Personality, and something which unnerves strangers).

I recall seeing a poster advertising �Schizophrenia�, and I thought to myself: �I have half a mind to go and see that film!�

I had said �Hello!� because, in my mind�s eye, (the English have three eyes), I was visualising the American musical �Carousel� (�Roundabout�) by Rodgers and Hammerstein (Roget and Hammerstone).

There is a line in it: �Hello, Mister Snow!�  Of course, there isn�t just one line of dialogue, there are also other lines, but I assumed that you would realise that.

In the theatre, everything is false.

�La Bohme�: you see an 18 stone soprano, Mimi, and the tenor is singing �Your tiny hand is frozen�.  (Scottish Opera sing: �Yer wee hond�s cauld�).

�The Mikado�: �Three little Maids from School� and one of girls is pregnant.

�Lilac Time� (�Das Dreimdelhaus�): the composer Franz Schubert, from Vienna, speaks with a Cockney accent!  The soprano lead persists in referring to him as �Skoo-bart�.

These inaccuracies, and many others, I have seen and noted.

I remember �Carousel� because Carrie Pipperidge wants to marry a fisherman, Enoch Snow.  It is musically impossible to write a song called �When I marry Carrie Pipperidge�, so the song became famous as �When I marry Mr. Snow�.

The beautiful Carrie Pipperidge wants lots of children, (�When the Children are Asleep�): but Enoch Snow wants �A great big Fleet of Little Boats�.  All the men in the audience just shook their heads in disbelief.

At the end of the show, Mr. and Mrs. Snow have a family of about 20 identical children --- clones, all made out of cardboard!

I dare not make any remark, for fear of censorship!

In that production of �Carousel�, there was not just one �Snowclone�, there were 20.

�Snowclone� = �Cardboard Cut-Out�.

LES

20 Oct 2010