Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Bullying    

Bullying

carinita
Argentina

Bullying

Hello, again
One of my ss is being bullied. He told me he got threatened on the Internet. The bully is not a student in the same school. The bully is the boyfriend of one of his classmates (my student)
I �ll be replacing the T. of the course he is in until December 31st and the replacement will probably continue
When he told me these things I told him he was ok to speak to me I told him that he shouldn �t be ashamed to talk to his parents I also informed another employee at the school about the situtation but he suggested that "our" student was to blame (rather than the bully) Unhappy
Now I don �t know what to do first...Talk to the head teacher? Talk to the whole class about bullying? I NEED to work on the content of the subject because a lot of time has been wasted throughout the year
If you were me, what would you do next????
Thanx
P.S. I am informed about bullying I have no pragmatic experience (Though my brother can be seen as a bully LOL)

22 Oct 2010      

Vivilui
Argentina

Have you thought about talking to the class � tutor (preceptor)? They are much more in touch with the students as we do and they may have a better idea as far as students � behaviours and relationships. Good luck. A hug.

22 Oct 2010     

carinita
Argentina

The tutor blamed the student being bullied According to him, this student had done something to "the agressor" �s motorbike (that �s what I understood) so the agressor retaliated  However, the tutor accompanied him to the entrance of the school and stayed with him, waiting for the father to pick him

22 Oct 2010     

cristinasuma
Spain

In my school we have peer mediation. I am a mediator myself and we deal with these type of conflicts through mediation. The process is simple, you can find information on the internet.
From my experience you must try to stop the threats but it would be useful that you could get together both victim and bully because most of the times the story has deeper roots and both students have had problems before that they have to solve.
However, if the threats are serious, have been going on for a long time (not just once) or if there is physical abuse, you must talk to the tutor and the victim �s parents.
If you want your class to understand a little bit more about bullying and how damaging it can be, go to this site:
It �s a swedish web, so you won �t understand a word but the videos are very short, really moving and they can be understood without words.
If you are interested in more videos, I can send you more links and their transcriptions.
If you have any other question, ask me.

22 Oct 2010     

arlissa
United States

There is an excellent English book called "Please Stop Laughing at Me." It is a memoir of a girl who was severely bullied in middle-school and high-school. If your students are able to digest complete and/or complex English sentences, perhaps you could have them read it? In the least, you should read it yourself. I found it VERY eye-opening to the act of bullying.

Here �s a link to the book: http://www.amazon.com/Please-Stop-Laughing-Me-Inspirational/dp/1440509867/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1287766895&sr=1-1

22 Oct 2010     

carinita
Argentina

Thanks for your message, nice people!
Cristina: I wanted that kind of videos precisely Thanks for your advice as well

23 Oct 2010