Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > WOD    

WOD

edrodmedina
United States

WOD

I guess I won by default...when no one shows up.....New word of the day adoxography. Remembe,r no Googling or dictionary use. Have fun everyone. Also remember the cleverest or wittiest as you, can see, is not always the winner. So everyone has a chance...yes even u.

23 Oct 2010      

kprichorniana
Mexico

Gee!!! hmmm... Let me think...Lampgraphy is the study of "something" or it could be the writing of something / a-, or an- is for not.  "DOXO" is the question!!! MAYDAY, MAYDAY!!! Wow! This is fun...Can we do team work?Geek

I �m now thinking...after putting 2 and 2 together and getting 6...If orthodox is something like "common beliefor opinion" then a/doxo/graphy is not studying/writing something you believe or studying/writing  something you don �t believe??? Does this make sense?

23 Oct 2010     

sulekra
Australia

I �ve heard of doxology, I think it �s the study of hymn writing or praising higher beings and whatnot? So maybe a-doxography it could be writing about demons and devils?;)

23 Oct 2010     

stexstme
France

ad = Anno Domini ( in the year of our Lord )
oxo = short form of xoxo ( kisses & hugs )
graphy = writing
Adoxography = The study of all the love notes Jesus sent.

Many thanks to Ed & Almaz.. Have a great day!

23 Oct 2010     

mildredpierce
France

ado= short for "teenager" in French
xo= hugs and kisses
graphy= the act of writing

The art of writing teenage love letters? ; )
 Have a good week end!

23 Oct 2010     

edrodmedina
United States

Just got up ...8:00 am Esat coast USA... Great answers so far .. Keep it up world..

23 Oct 2010     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

adoxography

I know that it �s against the rules to look up the answer for "Word of the Day" in a Dictionary, but unfortunately, because I can �t read or write, I have disobeyed this quite unnecessary restriction on my liberty.
(Because I can �t read or write, in the local educational statistics, I am classed as  �illegitimate �).
This is NOT true --- I have a Mother, (because I was born by Ceasarewitch operation).  One of my brothers also rides a race-horse, like me.
Moreover, because I went to a great deal of trouble to get my educational qualifications, (by collecting 10 vouchers from the local supermarket), I am now a fully qualified "Computer Teacher" and I have the plastic cut-out certificate to prove it.  It hangs proudly on my wall!  (Although, I �m not quite sure how a Certificate can be �proud �!)
You will notice that I use the word �Certificate �, and not �Susstificate � as is commonly said in the area where I live.  The reason is because I am very careful with my speelingg and spoken.
Just for the record, (or the DVD), I NEVER use the word �Pr*nunc*ation �.  So many people think that it is �proNOUNciation � (NOT Standard English!) that I have written to the Queen about it.
I have asked her to build an Academy Inglaise.  This institution will have the power to force all English speakers to speak EXACTLY the same way as everybody else.  This will be quite easy to implement and I can �t see anyone raising objections to it.
The really big advantage is that it will remove all the problems for foreigners who are learning English.
After all, everybody knows that there is only ONE way to speak Arabic; ONE way to speak Portuguese; ONE way to speak ... ... .  How do I know?  Because my students constantly tell me so!  It is only the English language that is stupid, and has all these dialects and accents!

Moreover, because I am now qualified, I do not need to follow Competition Rules, so I make my own Rules.
One of MY rules, which I INVENTED, is that I am going to give THE CORRECT answer to this competition, no matter what anybody says!

The answer is obvious!  So here goes!
adoxography: �ado � = �ado �; x = �nothing �; �o = �oh �; �graph � = �a mathematical graph �; �y � = �why? �.
"Why, oh, why was Shakespeare forced to write the theatre drama "Much Ado About Nothing", when he actually wanted to do his Maths Homework?"
That is the DICTIONARY DEFINITION.  So there!

Les

23 Oct 2010     

agagug
Canada

I guess that if you can read the following I was not able to make you understand what adoxography really means. However, your lawyer, if you have one, might just be inclined to explained it to you or even have me prosecuted for spoiling the quality of your sight.

Agagug

23 Oct 2010     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

To Agagug, from Les.

You are so right!

My stupid computer prevents me sending e-mails.

Just when I get to the interesting bit of the letter, the words suddenly disappea

23 Oct 2010     

edrodmedina
United States

I �m glad we �re still having fun w/this game.

23 Oct 2010