Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > WORD OF THE DAY - "quixotic"    

WORD OF THE DAY - "quixotic"

ELOJOLIE274
France

WORD OF THE DAY - "quixotic"

The Word of the day has been published yet, and I miss that game so much that I �ve decided to post the word anyway, even though it �s not my turn...

Today, and tomorrow �s word is "quixotic"

Try to define its meaning in the wittiest, most comical, or most stupid way.  If you know what it means, don�t tell us, please, but give us a silly definition of it, instead.

Remember, NO INTERNET, NO DICTIONARY DEFINITIONS � just ideas from your head!

The Member announced with the best definition WILL CHOOSE TUESDAY�S WORD.  (If you don�t want to choose a Word, let the Forum know, please.)

The Winner will be announced tomorrow (monday) evening on the forum and he/she will receive a PM!

I �ll repost this message tomorrow morning, and again in the afternoon...

Have fun!!!Wink

Elodie

24 Oct 2010      

Poohbear
Germany

Dear Elodie,

thanks for keeping up the game!
I am trapped in a seminar in the middle of nowhere and miss you all so much... so please don �t choose me, but I �d like to play anyway.

qui= French for who (and it is a French member who posts the word!)
x = for love
otic = short for exotic

so it means a person who loves exotic thinks, like food or drink...
Hugs from
Petra

24 Oct 2010     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Thank you very much, Elodie, for taking the initiative!

Now, I �ve heard that �Word � Quixotic before, I know!

I �m not sure if it was used in the Playgroup, or in the Sewage Works, but I �m CERTAIN I �ve heard it.

I �ll get back to you!

(Petra Poohbear says that she�s trapped in a �seminar�.
Petra, think yourself lucky that it�s only a SEMI-nar!
If you think that a �SEMI-nar� is bad, Petra, I was once trapped in a �COMPLETE-nar�, which lasted for days, surrounded by dozens of Nar-Nars!
Now THAT is something more scary than Halloween!)

Les

24 Oct 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

That word reminds me of Don Quichote/Quixote de la Mancha!!

He was quite scatterbrained and unworldly, wasn �t he? Big smile So I guess when someone is like that, you could say (s)he is "quixotic".

"Sally is sooo muddle-headed... She seems to live in her own world, doesn �t she?" --- "Yes, she �s rather quixotic!"

24 Oct 2010     

gloriawpai
Brazil

No, Lina. Don Quixote by Miguel Cervantes was very ingenious. So Sally was a very ingenious girl. She could invent so many gadgets that she can just relax! 

24 Oct 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

Thanks, Gloria! Then it must be Ally, not Sally. Sorry about the confusion!! LOL

24 Oct 2010     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

That �s an easy oneSmile
Quick for alive and exotic for unusual, so that �s an adjective which is used to describe an unusually lively person.
Sophia

24 Oct 2010     

Poohbear
Germany

Thanks, Les... I count my blessings!

Well, it�s a workshop with no w-lan and they�ll stick knives into me if I occupy the PC much longer...

24 Oct 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

Qui Xo (pronounced �kee-show �) is an online board game for nerds, nolifes, geeks and anoraks and assorted e-vagabonds, grifters and chouves. Essentially, the latter rip the former off but always leave something valuable in return, like an idea for a web-based cartoon (example here). The resultant mess is usually cleaned up by a media-savvy gongfermour who is then, more often than not, hired by a major bank which, based on this intelligence, then proceeds to rip off everyone else  involved. 

The process - from start to finish - is known as quixotic.

24 Oct 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

I feel completely dizzy after having read Alex �s explanation... Wacko Time to go to bed I suppose!

I �m looking forward to reading the correct definition tomorrow. :))

24 Oct 2010     

moravc
Czech Republic

quixotic
Beware of quixotic!
Actually, it is a quiet toxic, extremely dangerous chemical.
It is really difficult to extract it and labs have big problems to find it in water...
Never ever drink dirty water!

25 Oct 2010     

1    2    Next >