Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > I don´t know the name of them    

I don´t know the name of them

donapeter
Romania

@ Flora
Dear,
If you can send me some samples from those sweets , I will be able to help you. 
You know...images can be deceiving , the best solution is analyzing the topic as "deep" as we can.

Wink

25 Oct 2010     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

They �re Brazilian (delicious) appetizers we serve in birthday parties and cocktails. There isn �t a name for them in English, as the first one, for example, was invented by a Brazilian housewife, and she even named it after her husband �s military position: "brigadeiro" (wouldn �t know that in English, too). It �s our most famous Brazilian party food, made with condensed milk and chocolate.

The second one even I couldn �t figure it out.

The third one is my favorite appetizer, they �re made of chicken, and are called "coxinhas" (little thighs), because they �re supposed to immitate the real chicken thighs in shape.

But I �m sorry Flora, I don �t believe there �s a name for these in English, you should call them by their names in Portuguese.

Best regards,
Bruna

25 Oct 2010     

MoodyMoody
United States

The first looked like a chocolate cupcake or a muffin to me. I would guess that the closest English word to "brigadeiro" is "brigadier," which in the USA is a one-star general. They look like 

Again, I have no idea about the second picture. The closest in English for the third one would probably be boneless chicken wings. For some reason, chicken wings are an extremely popular snack and bar food in the USA. Obviously that isn �t a direct translation.

25 Oct 2010     

Zora
Canada

Hi,

I �d say number 1 is a type of "truffle" ... (Brigadier is the Military term Bruna Smile )
Number 2, I can �t say... it looks like fried bread or something and for 3, as Bruna has said, we have no word for "coxinhas"... the closest thing might be "a (cheese, meat, etc) filled croquette". 

25 Oct 2010     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

Hi Linda!!

If you come over, I �d be glad to make you some "brigadiers"!! LOL
Mine are particularly great! (family secret recipe)

And with all my cooking expertise Geek, I �d have to say those are not actually truffles. Truffles are stuffing covered with pure chocolate, but I guess that would be the closest term for it in English.

I can �t make "coxinhas", but I know a place where they make delicious ones!! I can take you there too! Wink Give me a ring when you �re ready to go!!!

Love,

Bruna.

25 Oct 2010     

Zora
Canada

Bella Bruna!!

Sounds too yummy to pass up. Smile I will book the next trip to Brazil and you can start whipping up some "brigadiers" for me! lol

And btw, when I saw the picture, at first I thought they were "rum balls" - yummy North American Xmas Truffle. I was looking for a truffle recipe and in North America, we tend to cover our truffles with trifles! LOL

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/easy-decadent-truffles/Detail.aspx

25 Oct 2010     

< Previous   1    2