Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Word of the Day    

Word of the Day

agagug
Canada

Word of the Day

I am new to this...

I won the last challenge, so I posted the new word of day which is "dithyrambic" by the way... However, I do not know how to make my post permanent on the forum for the time of the contest in order to make it visible for contestants. How can I do this?

So, here it is again...

Dithyrambic.

Thus, according to �lodie who declared me the winner of the last WOD post,  here is what you have to do:

Try to define its meaning in the wittiest, most comical, or most stupid way.  If you know what it means, don�t tell us, please, but give us a silly definition of it, instead.

Remember, NO INTERNET, NO DICTIONARY DEFINITIONS � just ideas from your head!

May the wittiest win!
Agagug

27 Oct 2010      

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dithyrambic

�Di� = �two�; �thy� = Anglo-Saxon word �thigh�; �rambic� = adjective derived from the romantic American film idol, Rambo.

Dithyrambic = A poetic, rhythmic, romantic, Rambo-like style of walking, using both hips, (similar to �Iambic Pentameter� where you use 5 hips).

It is intended to impress a girl, and is practised by a Wannabee (�I Wanna be Famous�).

His friends predict that he will be a Gonnalook (�He�s Gonna look Stupid�).

Les

27 Oct 2010     

SueThom
United States

Oh, that �s good, Les! LOL I don �t think I can top that one.

"dith" comes from "dither"--to vacilate, to be in be indecisive
"rambic" comes from "ramble"--to wander, to roam aimlessly

So, "dithyrambic" refers to an extreme sort of rambling--a person who is so indecisive they can �t even figure out where to aimlessly wander and end up going in circles, stop, then head back where they were.  I think it describes me when I realize I need my glasses, start looking for where I last put them down in the house, notice the glass of water I left on the table, start to take that to the kitchen to put it in the dishwasher, put it down again to pick up a piece of mail that fell to the floor, try to read the mail, but realize I need my glasses, put down the mail to look for my glasses, and so on.

Sue

27 Oct 2010     

kprichorniana
Mexico

I �m pretty certain that what the word really means is your ability to rumba elegantly�Here is how I came to this conclusion:

1.       Di�comes from the combination of syllables La-di-dah! Which is an elegant  or pretentious form of singing ta-da-dah.

2.       Thy: Old English possessive adjective for you�

3.       Aaaaand!!! Rambic there threw me off for a minute, but then I realized it was a typo! And you really meant to say rumbic which means RUMBA STYLE�

Sooo after all this thinking I came to the conclusion that dithyrumbic is the ability YOU HAVE of dancing rumba (a latino dance) ELEGANTLY.

YOUR ELEGANT RUMBA DANCE=DITHYRUMBIC

A sentence example for the use of this word would be something like:

�I admired your dithyrumbic performance in the contest, not surprisingly you are the dithyrumber of the Year!�

Dithyrumbic: Adjective; your elegant rumba dance

Dithyrumber: Noun; a person who has earned the highest recognition in elegantly dancing rumba!

27 Oct 2010     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

adj. that has smth to do with your ambitionsSmile
Sophia

27 Oct 2010