Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > About Halloween celebration    

About Halloween celebration

almaz
United Kingdom

One of my earliest memories in Glasgow is of going out �guising � with a gang of older kids at Halloween (the word itself is originally Scots and evokes its Christian and Celtic origins). We all had to do a �turn � (sing a song, dance, recite a poem etc) for which we would be rewarded with nuts, fruit, sweets, cash, whatever (you got an extra handful if the householder couldn �t see through your disguise). There was none of the imported �trick or treat � tradition which seems simply to reward kids for having an elaborate costume and a box of eggs.

It was certainly already a long-standing tradition in our communities which almost everyone, regardless of religion, class or political belief, enjoyed. The commercial aspect was confined mainly to the local bakers making special scary Halloween cakes and the toy shops supplying monster masks for those who couldn �t be bothered to make their own (OK, I accept that this was the thin end of the wedge!).

To the best of my knowledge, there still exist, in Scotland at least, the traditional games and activities associated with the festival and remember, it is a festival - just like the ones in your own country, many of which may also have pagan origins. It is unfortunate but understandable, given the �Hollywood make-over �, that people in other countries see it as a highly-commercialized orgy of money-making.

31 Oct 2010     

silvia.patti
Italy

In Sicily we have a Christian festival: we celebrate the dead on the 2nd November. Our dear dead bring toys and sweets to children. As I was a child I received them and now I like to have some sweets (typical of this festival). I don �t remember any Halloween celebration years ago, but now everyone seems to celebrate it.

31 Oct 2010     

manonski (f)
Canada

@Judy, for your info, we don �t vandalize homes when don �t get candies.
Kids are asked to go trick-or-treating to homes that are decorated and lighted, which means people will give candies. When I run out of sweets, I simply, turn off my lights.

@ David, I understand what you mean when you say it �s impossible to separate Halloween from religion but I can tell you that in Quebec, it really is not about religion for French catholics, which is most of the population of the province. I guess it takes a different meaning depending on where we come from. 

31 Oct 2010     

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

Halloween is becoming popular here but mostly among young people, there is no trick or treating, people usually go out and have fun at night clubs, dress up in different costumes...Some of my students organise Halloween parties at home...
I work for a language school and we celebrate Halloween every year with kids, teens and adults. We do not associate this holiday with religion and present the event as a way to get accustomed with the culture of USA and Canada. So far, nobody has complained about our school celebrating it, on the contrary, parents are happy that their kids have a kind of unusual fun, adult students say Halloween is another way to get together with friends, dress up and play halloween related games, especially if it �s all done in English :)

31 Oct 2010     

lapaoiza
Argentina

Thank you all for your replies! I appreciate them. Have a nice day!

Paola

31 Oct 2010     

< Previous   1    2