Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Word of 2day    

Word of 2day

franknbea
United Kingdom

Word of 2day

Back by Popular Demand 
I am resurrecting word of the day in a slightly changed format
(note the silly name)

I will post a word (rules remain the same)
and will pass the mantle on to whichever definition I like best.
I would however, like to ask that who ever is posting the game please bear in mind what the forum is really for and not to post more than once a day. Also please check the last post in the forum(the one you will be knocking off) and if it hasn �t been helped yet be considerate and let them get an answer before posting the game.
And lastly, please remember that it is just a silly game which was started as a means of having a litle fun and nothing more.
Bidding you all a Happy Friday here is  2day �s word;

AGELAST
remember, no dictionary definitions please. All definitons welcome, the sillier the better... Have fun.

5 Nov 2010      

MoodyMoody
United States

Here �s a slightly risqu� "daffynition":

a - one

gel - a very thick liquid

last - to continue for a long time

So, agelast must be a tube of gel to help men perform sexually for a longer time!

(Hey, it �s better than age - number of years old and last - final, last person to get old!)

5 Nov 2010     

MoodyMoody
United States

(P.S. : I �m sorry, but I �m going on a trip without computer this weekend, so I won �t know if I win or not until Sunday evening EST. So, I guess I should take myself out of the running. Cry )

5 Nov 2010     

lamyaa
Egypt

last : stay forever , or last for a long time

may be it means to last for ages

5 Nov 2010     

cauffeepot
Benin

agelast-the last time someone admits their real age. I �ve been 29 for at least 5 years now.

5 Nov 2010     

olgumco
Colombia

ANGELAST is the figure of an angel that catholics put on the cakes of children who have their first communion. The particular characteristic of this figure is that is the only thing that people do not it, and not because it is not good, it is because it is really hard.  However, it is sweet and delicious, the kid who got the first communion gets to it it... It can last for more than five days... The Angel last! 

6 Nov 2010     

Jayho
Australia

Hi all

Wow - some fun (and disgusting) anagrams in this. 

agelast is a  super silly story containing anagrams of a chosen word and designed to make even the most serious of people chuckle at the silly and insignificant fun things in life. 

As an example, here is an agelast story using anagrams of this word:

The tea gals were a gala set.  They checked the sale tag of every item including the tea slag teapot and and the seal tag one too.  Then feeling that tea lags something they instead looked at the ale tags and chose  an ale stag gift Feeling peckish and suffering from eats lag they went to East Lag where they experienced seat lag and ate slag (sorry - but it �s a funny anagram even if disgusting).  They laughed so much that it was like gales at airport Gates LA where they had once succumbed to teal gas, late gas and tale gas too. Oh dear, this is a tale sag and an agelast too - a silly story made with anagrams of the same word.

Cheers

Jayho (and the pile of [not my] kittens in my avatar)

6 Nov 2010     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

�Agelast�

This breaks down to: �A� �ge� �last�.

�e.g� is Latin for �exempli gratia� which is �for the sake of an example�. However, here we have the letters �eg� backwards, �ge.

So this must be �for the example of a sake�.

As David Lisgo, in Japan, will tell you, sake is a form of rice wine.

Moreover, in this word, we have the pattern: �A� �ge� �last�.

A �last� is a tool used by a shoe-maker, or shoe-cobbler, �shaped like a human foot�.

Consequently, �a� �ge� �last�, becomes �for the example of a rice-wine, shaped like a human foot�.

The best that I can do with this, is to conclude that it is possibly a reference to a drinking contest, popular in Germany, where they use a glass, shaped like a boot, �a Bierstiefel�, �a Beer Boot�, as a drinking vessel.

Les

6 Nov 2010     

Apodo
Australia

Ag - a common abbreviation for agriculture.
last - for making shoes

So an agelast is for making shoes for farm animals.

6 Nov 2010     

franknbea
United Kingdom

To keep with continuity and also because Cauffeepot �s definition happens to be my favourite of this bunch I duly declare Cauffeepot the winner.

agelast-the last time someone admits their real age. I �ve been 29 for at least 5 years now.

Cauffeepot, over to you. I would ask you to bear in mind the forum �s real purpose and kindly wait until this post has gone under before posting a new word of the day.

Thanks and use your undeniable wit to come up with a cracker.

6 Nov 2010