Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > In my opinion the site has lowered it īs standards or is it just me?    

In my opinion the site has lowered it īs standards or is it just me?

Lina Ladybird
Germany

My nickname was slightly different at that time, Roney... I called myself _ladybird_. ;)

Should you need any of my contributions to this website (PRINTABLES, of course), please, let me know so that I can send them to you by email. :))

6 Nov 2010     

roneydirt
United States

thanks ladybird... I just find it interesting that that BB and Philip said they found 10 mistakes and I used different sites and still only came up with the 1 mistake.  Just wonder where the other 9 mistakes they referred to.

6 Nov 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

Neither BB nor Philip said that they had found 10 mistakes in your initial post, dear Roney... ;)) Calm down, PLEASE! Big smile

BB was referring to the 12 items you had mentioned in your first post, that īs all. Wink And Philip wasn īt mentioning any number of mistakes at all...

6 Nov 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

Neither of us said THAT.

6 Nov 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

I once had a(.) (........) colleague who removed all the flipchart paper he had written on before he went home for the day.......

6 Nov 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

You īre having us on, Bill, aren īt you? I mean, the title alone of your post was just crying out for a crack. Ever hear of Hartman īs Law of Prescriptive Retaliation, which basically states that any article or statement about other people īs mistakes is bound to contain at least one misstake itself? 

But we all need a good rant from time to time. Chin up.

6 Nov 2010     

libertybelle
United States

I think there is a big difference between the typos we write here on the message board in haste and worksheets that we use lots of time on.

I agree with Roney - If people used more time and weren īt in such a rush to upload their stuff, they might have found the mistakes themselves.

I know we all can make mistakes - but in my experience - if we give our students worksheets full of spelling and grammar mistakes - it īs going to take a hell of a long time to un-do these mistakes. Kids have long memories!
And........... there are some teachers here who don īt  see these mistakes. So it īs up to the author to use time and make worksheets of quality.

One last thing - and this isn īt personal - I īm wondering about the Teacher īs Colleges around the world.  I don īt know what to think when a teacher here at ESL asks when it is correct to use is/are. Sometimes the most basic things arent � covered in the syllabus at some colleges.
Teachers should have the highest education and countries that save on teaching teachers are condemnable, in my opinion.

sorry to hear about your wife Roney. My deepest condolences.

6 Nov 2010     

olgumco
Colombia

Well I cannot say if the standards are lower now. Iīm relatively new. What I can certainly say is that I finally found a worth community of teachers who want to share a grow together. However, I totally agree with some of your comments regarding those questions about the most basic things of language use.

As a  non-native English speaker, I have many doubts too, but I like asking about pragmatic and cultural issues that maybe I havenīt had the chance to live, for the other linguistic elements there are many websites and books I can resort to. You native teachers are a very valuable resource as to fill you up and the forum with questions whose answers can be found by just searching the net.

I apologize if anyone considers my opinion offensive, but it is more an invitation to use the forum productively and make the most out of our colleagues knowledge.  

And Roney... Julio Cortázar said "Nada est� perdido si se tiene el valor de proclamar que todo est� perdido y hay que empezar de nuevo". 

6 Nov 2010     

JudyHalevi
Israel

In your penultimate post there were three errors.  Two spelling, one grammar.  Still nevermind.  I wish you all the best and a much better year.  Good luck.

Hugfrom Israel

Judy

6 Nov 2010     

roneydirt
United States

Now I am a little toasted reading this.  Had to go to another business meeting with some owners and don īt know if anyone else has had to do this in Asia plus worked a 78 hour work week excluding meetings. (Don īt know about Europe, Africa, or South America) but some business meeting in Asia revolve around liquour drinks to discuss business even in a casual aspect.  Now the errors I had mostly referred to were basic words misspelled like the word night; in a couple downloaded worksheets in the past week there was nitgh and nite.  I think as a EFL teacher or a teacher in general we should at least verify that we have check even the basic spelling.  Now there is always chances of mistakes even with the best of us, and I know that.   Just want the best of us before we post or give to our students because the bottom line is we need to be the best and even better than ourselves to our students.  We live in an area of life where we are constantly under a microscope from the community around us so we have to live to a higher standard especially with the work we produce.  It may sound crazy but it is a sad truth.  I have been in schools in my time that even being seen leaving a concert venue was taboo.  We are judged much more harshley than others so we must be ready to even take the craziest critiques on our life styles and work we produce.

7 Nov 2010     

< Previous   1    2