Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > What were you doing when... ?    

What were you doing when... ?

moravc
Czech Republic

What were you doing when... ?

Are there any "milestones" in your personal life - moments which you remember exactly what you were doing?
death of your relatives, lost property, disasters -
What are YOUR important moments in your life???

eg:
I was watching TV when my great-aunt died at hospital.
I was chatting with my friend when our pet got lost.
I was sleeping when our car crashed.
I was not working when my friend was operated.
I was skiing when I hurt my knee.
I was sitting on a chair when the dog bit my arm.
I was phoning my Mum and crying when the second plane flown into the Twin Towers.
I was sightseeeing in London when Lady Diana died.

I am trying to find important moments in our lives to practise past continuous...
Which day / moment DO YOU FIND IMPORTANT?

7 Nov 2010      

cauffeepot
Benin

I was driving home from work when I heard Michael Jackson had died. I was sleeping when Princess Diana died. I remember waking up and my roommate (an obnoxious jerk-he really was) made a joke, Di died. I was in a bookstore when I heard John Candy had died. I was in Montreal on vacation when I heard a close friend of the family had died in a car accident. I was 10 and I was playing my clarinet. We had to go home early. That was my first experience with someone dying and I remember thinking that it had to be my uncle who had died, because he was old (my uncle �s daughter-my cousin-and this friend �s daughter had the same first name) and this friend was young (he was early forties) because only old people died, not people the same age as my parents. It happened days before Halloween and I never went out trick or treating again. True story.

7 Nov 2010     

debk2000
United States

Being from the U.S., probably one of the most significant for me was 9/11:

I was in class for my undergrad when I heard that the World Trade Center had been hit.

7 Nov 2010     

GIOVANNI
Canada

I was preparing my homework when the electricity went out during Canada �s ice storm of 1998.  We were without electricity for 27 days in my city.

I was teaching when I heard about 9/11.

I was watching television when they announced Obamah had won the election.

I was sleeping when a big earthquake hit San Fransico.

I was trespassing when a dog attacked me.

7 Nov 2010     

franknbea
United Kingdom

I was working in Midtown Manhattan when tower one was hit. Being In New York City meant that we had less information than those at hoe watching on television.
I was in the Road House in Covent Garden, London when the news filtered through that Princess Diana had died. I was deliriously drunk and partying when the Berlin Wall came down.

7 Nov 2010     

MarionG
Netherlands

With all due respect to celebs and terrosist attacks...
I was playing on my bed when I broke my arm (at age 6).
I was sitting in the living room when my cat got run over and almost died.
My friends were driving home on their scooter when a drunk driver hit them and killed one of them.
I was studying law when I met my husband.
We were renovating our house when my son was born.
I was cleaning the house when they told me my father in law had suffered a stroke.
I was getting ready for school when they told me my father was diagnosed with cancer.

7 Nov 2010     

JudyHalevi
Israel

For some happier items:

I was reading a book when my daughter called to tell me she was pregnant.

I was teaching a class when my daughter called to tell me she had had the baby.  I told the class that I had to answer.  During the break the class went out and bought a cake and some colddrinks.  We had a real party.

Hugfrom Israel

Judy

7 Nov 2010     

silvia.patti
Italy

I was sleeping when my brother was born.
My parents were driving when they had a serious accident (fortunately they survived).
I was sleeping when my friend sent me a sms to say that her daughter was born.
I was driving when my friend called me to say that her son was born.
I was going to the gym when a school called me for the first time.

7 Nov 2010     

mariamit
Greece

I was crying  when I first went to kindergarden.
I was travelling abroad when my grandfather died.
I was giving my baby a bath when the earthquake happened.
My husband was working when our second daughter was born.
I was sunbathing on the beach when the World Trade Center was hit.
I was decorating the Christmas tree when my daughter told me she had been accepted into law school.
I was driving slowly when the motorcyclist hit my car.
It was raining cats and dogs when my grandniece was born.

7 Nov 2010     

yulya_esl
Ukraine

I was celebrating New Year when my ganddad died. �

I was playing a game on my P.E. class when I broke my arm.

I was surfing the Internet when I came across this questioneer ))))

7 Nov 2010     

ikebana
France

I was driving back home after a day work when they broke the news about 9/11 and I really thought it must have been some kind of a bad joke or so .
my husband was almost  sleeping when I told him we were going to have a baby. That was 8 years ago .
I was having breakfast when they announced Lady Di had died.
My husband and I were watching TV when my daughter uttered her first word "Papa" . Of course I would have prefered a "Maman" but that sounded less easy to pronounce

7 Nov 2010     

1    2    Next >