Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > I had started a line yesterday to shake some individuals up    

I had started a line yesterday to shake some individuals up

roneydirt
United States

I had started a line yesterday to shake some individuals up

Now this is a link from yesterday

I had wanted to get a little more say in it but know it ended in people saying there was grammer and spelling errors in my statement instead of what was asked, but they failed to actually share my mistakes and I even used two sites to check grammer and spelling mistakes and only found one yet was told there were several in the original post.

Now the real thing I had wanted to bring up is we are judged more harshley rather it be real or not in the real world in our work.  I wanted to point out that in several worksheets I had went over there were basic words misspelled and that shows lacking of proper work ethics in our part.  A year ago when I had a computer before it was stolen this was a heated discussion on this and when we create a worksheet to provide an answer key to show where we were coming from when we created the worksheet.  I think that is still as true as it was then.

There were those that did make a good statement on their behalf like Ladybird and from her worksheets can see she had taken the time to verify that at least the spelling was correct.  We are judged more harsley than any other business in the world as stated before even if it is fair or not.

What do you think?  Are we judged with a little stricter than most jobs in the world?  It may not seem fair but we do have the welfare of our students in our hands.

7 Nov 2010      

manonski (f)
Canada

I believe teachers are being judged based on what they are expected to do.
If I �m to teach French or ESL, I believe I should have a certain level of mastery on the subject I �m teaching to my students. I don �t think it �s too much to ask. What I don �t like is the generalization the media make about certain professions. For example, here, policemen are typecast as being doughnuts eaters. Teachers are typecast as people who are paid to do nothing especially since we have two months off in the summer.

Making mistakes is human but I do expect my mechanic to know cars very well. I expect my doctor to be able to make a good diagnostic. It �s part of the deal. I am aware that some are better than others and that some don �t belong in their field at all.

Same thing with teachers. Just don �t put us all in the same basket.

7 Nov 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

"Grammar", here is one,

"harshly", here is two.

Want more?

Roney, people who upload ws with errors probably do so because they don �t know better. Not all people that are members here have enjoyed (the same) training but may still be required to teach their mother tongue or second language. How about sending the people whose contributions you keep referring to a message in order to help them. I have been doing so, have you? All of them have written back to me and thanked me for pointing things out to them. Even the what some people call "top contributors" here forget a thing or two now and then, they are just as grateful as the others. I have forgotten to include things as well.....

I have two questions for you, though.
1. What makes you (a user with 61 points) think that you should keep picking on the resources others share?
2. Why don �t you hang out here for a while and experience the spirit of this site? You may be surprised, but a lot of things can change with in a year.

Regards

Edit, Manon was faster ;o)

7 Nov 2010     

lshorton99
China

I went back and read the original thread and, while I agree that it got off topic, I agree with almaz - if you start a thread about mistakes, expect people to pick you up on yours (and I did notice the deliberate �misstake � in almaz �s post!).

Are we judged more harshly? I think the ELT community often has low standards. I �ve taught pre-intermediate adult students who were English teachers in their schools. I �ve been to conferences and training seminars where I could barely communicate with some of the other delegates in English! When I see a question on this forum asking for help with basic grammatical structures it doesn �t surprise me in the least. I �m also happy to respond because it gives me the hope that there will be one less student coming to my class telling me that their teacher has told them something that is incorrect!

It �s not just non-native speakers too. Many natives can �t spell and have very little knowledge of grammar. There �s an over-reliance on teachers � books or computerised spelling and grammar checks, which we all know are not particularly reliable and certainly no substitute for actually knowing the spelling and grammar!

Finally, on something of a side note, I �ve just started working for an American company who require me to teach everything American (including Standard American Pronunciation!). I knew that there were differences but I had no idea how many until I got here! There are orthographic differences (colour/color), lexical differences (waistcoat/vest) and even grammatical differences (the use of �may �, for example). This poor Brit is finding life very confusing at the moment - nobody seems to know where the toilet is and apparently there �s a room especially for resting!

Lindsey

7 Nov 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

Thank you, Lindsey, my heroine, once and for all and in many respects. Hug

7 Nov 2010     

roneydirt
United States

Manonski.... one thing to say....  AMEN..... 

sadly it doesn �t happen.   when a teacher goes down for wrong doing it becomes directed to the whole field even if it an obscure place in the world.  I have been touring some areas as a teacher trainer and some of the things I have seen leaves me breathless and in total shock especially how many teachers in several places don �t even have a degree or degrees in other fields, and we that do have a degree are put in the same category as them.

7 Nov 2010     

lshorton99
China

BB Hug

7 Nov 2010     

ikebana
France

You �re right Roney : we do have a huge responsibility in terms of education of the kids we are meant to deal with , we are not paragon of perfection though . As a native speaker you might not be fully aware of how "difficult" it can be sometimes to avoid making mistakes in a language we don �t practise every day.
however I would agree with you on one point : if we reread our ws. thoroughly before upoading them that would save us some of the most common and silly mistakes ( talking by experience )
Another thing is , before sending any positive comment such as "Awesome , wonderful, fantatstic .." could we make sure  we have had a look at the ws. before ! ( provided we have time for it ) . In today contributions I �ve noticed a ws. full of mistakes which recieved high praises , I was just wondering if that was just  because of the cliparts contained in it ?!! ( you know the Thistle one ) The layouts and cliparts are very important but they should not become more important than  the content of a document .
well that was just my 2pence

you are all doing a really great job down there so keep it up !
hugs from still foggy France

Ikebana

7 Nov 2010     

roneydirt
United States

Thanks for the answers... when we go to correct I as a favor would like you to share with me (or others their) my mistakes made and not just tell me that I made a mistake.  This goes to the original statement that I had made.  Now there are a couple on here I owe further explanations to since I did point out their mistakes or told them I am making some changes of their work to standard English but promised to send them a correction later on.  Hope they forgive me for my late changes and returns of their material with the changes I did. 

Side question....  I am with my roommate and his friends toasting his future wedding but still doing work....  How many of us find us doing this?  We go out on a "night on the town" after a crazy week and still find ourselves working on paperwork and lesson planning in a bar, loud place or friends party?

7 Nov 2010     

roneydirt
United States

hate to say it ikebana but some of your counterparts here in Shanghai (French English teachers) are not as noble as you...  even with some of your mistakes you did state they happen.  one of my bosses is a famous French man in the English teaching field in Shanghai and he in the long run makes it look bad for French men as well as a couple fellow Americans, a couple Australians care of the local TV network.  I see their English corrections they made and...... well even some of the non-Native speakers here in China spot the mistakes rather easily.  But they are more in the local power group and I am just an outsider here, but they keep pulling me in to do training for their subordinates.  Today had an argument with parents that the words he gave them was wrong even showed them a dictionary but he has some political clout and I don �t.  This goes with some of the chaos I got thrown in this week.

7 Nov 2010     

roneydirt
United States

Here is a question for all on the last post I had posted.  How do you handle going into an area where there is a group with a large politcal clout and they seem to either on purpose or by accident using the English language wrong to the point that it is even wrong terms even according to a basic dictionary?

7 Nov 2010     

1    2    3    Next >