Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Comma    

Comma

MarionG
Netherlands

almaz relax, I think it is perfectly OK to copy in explanations found on the net. I didn �t think for a moment he actually wrote them himself, neither does he need to. why rewrite when someone typed it up before? Like sending a link, just easier for the reader...
I agree that the second comment is a bit much and I didn �t really get the analogy but that doesn �t lessen the value of �his � original explanation...just MHO

17 Nov 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

Sorry if you feel that way, Marion, but everything - including the silly analogy ( �second comment �) -  is copied, without the merest hint of acknowledgement, from the same source. It �s dishonest and, yes, it does devalue anything this person says. I �d even go so far as to say that if you check any of his previous pieces of advice on grammar, there �s a good chance you �ll find that they, too, are taken from some prescriptive website or other. 

17 Nov 2010     

el_profe55
Argentina

I don �t want to start a silly Cat Fight. Keep on sharing printables and whenever you can help in the forum DO IT!

BTW, we can�t copy articles or other stuffs from the net and just paste them in our wss, but there no rules about comments in the furum..The only thing it�s not allow here is PERSONAL ATTACKS!

17 Nov 2010     

magneto
Greece

Please, dear colleagues, 

17 Nov 2010     

libertybelle
United States

I was taught that you don �t use a comma before a conjunction.
the comma takes the place of the conjunction - otherwise it would read -

I like apples and  bananas and berries.

so the comma replaces the conjunction AND - therefore when you DO use the word and -
you don �t use a comma - because it has no purpose.

L

17 Nov 2010     

magneto
Greece

But what happens when and is connecting long sentences, as in the case of: Mom called George and Timmy to tell them that Peter got married, and Dad went to the bank to draw out some money for his present. ? Don �t you need a comma there, to avoid getting the reader confused?

17 Nov 2010     

el_profe55
Argentina

in the case mentioned by L hasn �t got any sense the use of a comma because we are talking about same things (fruit in her case)

but as Magneto suggest in compound sentences we need to make use of comma before "and" to avoid confusions.

17 Nov 2010     

douglas
United States

it �s a matter of "open punctuation" or "closed punctuation"--you can use either one , just stay consistent in your text.

warning: if writing to be graded, find out what form the person grading the paper prefers

17 Nov 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

Elpida, good call, but you have to think how its absence changes the meaning of the sentence? That Mom told G and T that P got married and D went to the bank, or that Mom told G and T that P got married during which time D went to the bank? If it were the first option, I �d just add �that � ( ...and that Dad went to the bank...). A much simpler way to avoid ambiguity and you don �t have to play silly games with commas.

[For what it�s worth, I�m seriously dismayed at the fact that while plagiarism is considered unacceptable in a worksheet, it seems to be perfectly acceptable in the forum.]

17 Nov 2010     

el_profe55
Argentina

in the case mentioned by L hasn �t got any sense the use of a comma because we are talking about same things (fruit in her case)

but as Magneto suggest in compound sentences we need to make use of comma before "and" to avoid confusions.

17 Nov 2010     

< Previous   1    2    3    Next >