Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > WOD for Thursday, November 18, 2010    

WOD for Thursday, November 18, 2010

edrodmedina
United States

WOD for Thursday, November 18, 2010

The baton has been passed. I will try to justice to this tradition we are creating. The new word for Thursday, November 18, 2010 is.... drum roll  please: calamistrate. Ok folks. Play hard and play often. Good luck and may the best daffynition win and if not, may the person who decides to answer my PM on time win!! Yay!! Remember no googling, no dictionaries and most of all no PeMing Les. Be creative and if can �t be creative, be gross. Thank you and good luck.

18 Nov 2010      

cauffeepot
Benin

it sounds like calamari in crisis.

18 Nov 2010     

Nereis
Argentina

Was it Calamity Jane �s nickname? Wink

18 Nov 2010     

MoodyMoody
United States

Here �s my attempt:

cala - beautiful (as in calligraphy)
mist - fog
rate - consider or esteem

So calamistrate is to consider fog as a beautiful phenomenon.

And totally G-rated at that!

18 Nov 2010     

GIOVANNI
Canada

As far as I know, a calamistrate is a gadget that  rates the level of calmness.   It is given to people, especially teachers to test their level of calmness  before they are hired.  This test is given to make sure that they are able to handle all the stress that comes with the job.

18 Nov 2010     

dturner
Canada

This is a secret process/ingredient known only to 5 star restaurant chefs.  It is a natural occurring chemical that is emitted by calamari, after sitting on a plate for the required resting time.  In order to fully enjoy calamari, you must wait a few minutes for the deep fried squid to age, bringing out the calamistrate tang and natural flavour of the calamari.   

18 Nov 2010     

douglas
United States

I have two for calamistrate:

1. calami-calamity
    istrate- remove as in (castrate)
  calamistrate- a vasectomy gone terribly wrong (a calamatous castration)

2. Calami- calamari
    istrate- remove
  calamistrate- to "surgically" remove the calamari from a person.  Like when I am sitting in a Cafe in Zaragossa and eating the best calamari of my life and even an earthquake couldn�t take me away from them -- to stop me from eating you would have to calamistrate them from me.

Douglas

18 Nov 2010     

MarionG
Netherlands

There will be a drill today and our sixth graders are in charge of the calamistration .
At 13.00 there will a siren and the entire student body needs to go down to the shelters in the basement of the school. To practice how to do this in an orderly fashion so we may be prepared in case of a real calamity, the 6th graders have been given the task to administrate the drill. They are divided into teams to go and help the lower grades, some 6th graders are responsible for bringing the stretchers and first aid kits, others are in charge of making sure the little ones stay calm during the pandemonium that always breaks loose the moment the siren is heard.
We really hope they will calamistrate better than last year �s sixt grade. Last year�s drill was a total mess. Some of the lower grades never were notified the drill started and they forgot to tell the 4th graders that the drill was over and that they were allowed to get out from under the tables.....They were stuck there for over half an hour (I would know, I was there!)

To calamistrate; verb. to administrate the sequence of events in case of a calamity.
Usually it is the task of the police force and the fire brigade to calamistrate.

except for the WOD, the story is true, thank god (or my shedule) I taught only until 12.30 so I could get away before the madness started.....

18 Nov 2010     

edrodmedina
United States

Hey Douglas...Four posts???? Were you undergoing that procedure while posting???

18 Nov 2010     

douglas
United States

Ooops!  Sorry...I deleted the excess posts.  I didn �t realise it had happened and just got back on here after class.

18 Nov 2010