Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > doubling the consonant rule?    

doubling the consonant rule?

hema.chandra
India

doubling the consonant rule?

hello friends .

I was doing action words with my ss.They are very clear @ the action words but they are confused as to when to double the consonant.
for eg run becomes running when adding ing
stop becomes stopping
walk does not become walkking.................how do I explain them.do any of you have the explanation ws with few examples so that they r always  not confused & can do things on his own.Thanks in advance.

also if u have let �s talk series @ myself,my school,my family,my hobbies for the 4 years old ss.kindly sent me the link 4 the same.

18 Nov 2010      

SueThom
United States

I �m sending you a PM about this.

18 Nov 2010     

nombasa
South Africa

This is a general rule:

When a one-syllable word ends in a vowel followed by a consonant, double the final consonant when adding a suffix.
*Examples: topped, swimmer, hitting

Work with them on tapping out syllables.  It is useful for a lot of reasons.  Teach them about vowel suffixes (ing, ed, or....) and consonant sufixes (ly, less, full....)

Other rules using sufixes are:

Drop the final silent "e" when adding a suffix that begins with a vowel.
*Examples: changing, notable, nervous

Keep the final silent "e" when adding a suffix that begins with a consonant.
*Examples: useful, lovely, hopeless

Hope that it helps

18 Nov 2010     

yolprica
Spain

It �s difficult to explain it better.
Yolanda

18 Nov 2010     

magneto
Greece

We only double the final consonant in two cases, basically:

1. In one-syllable words of the CVC (consonant - vowel - consonant) type, like run - running

!!! We do not double the final consonant when there are two/ more consonants following the vowel: e.g. start - starting

2. In longer words with a CVC ending when the final syllable is stressed. e.g. begin - beginning

!!! We do not double the final consonant in longer words when the final syllable is not stressed. e.g. happen - happening

There is also a rule that only applies to British English: We double the even if the final syllable is not stressed.
e.g. British English: travel - travelling
BUT American English: travel - traveling

(See also: http://www.perfectyourenglish.com/vocabulary/spelling-doubling.htm)

Hope I �ve helpedSmile

Edit: P.S.: !!! Pay attention to the verb write. I�ve noticed that students often get confused by its past participle (written) and spell the - ing form writting. You need to point out to them that write does not end in a consonant, but in an e and should therefore form its -ing form as writing (see also Mombassa�s post above about verbs ending in -e). Make them pay attention to the fact that its past participle is irregular (ends in -en, instead of -ed) and that�s the only reason that it doesn�t follow the rule and is formed with a double t.

18 Nov 2010     

rakelica
Spain

magneto; thanks for your explanation; very clear and useful!!

18 Nov 2010     

magneto
Greece

I �ve just added the following P.S. to my previous answer. You might find that useful, too:

Edit: P.S.: !!! Pay attention to the verb write. I�ve noticed that students often get confused by its past participle (written) and spell the - ing form writting. You need to point out to them that write does not end in a consonant, but in an e and should therefore form its -ing form as writing (see also Mombassa�s post above about verbs ending in -e). Make them pay attention to the fact that its past participle is irregular (ends in -en, instead of -ed) and that�s the only reason that it doesn�t follow the rule and is formed with a double t.

18 Nov 2010     

rowel
Indonesia

great... 

20 Nov 2010