Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > You are to, She is to, He is to ... do it!    

You are to, She is to, He is to ... do it!

Mr. Maru
El Salvador

You are to, She is to, He is to ... do it!

Hello there my beloved colleagues around the world!

I don �t happen to be familiar with the following structure:

You are to do it! (verb be + infinitive )

As far as I know, this is a "MUST" something that NEEDS to be done. However, I don �t know WHAT kind of GRAMMAR TOPIC or STRUCTURE this is!!!  I �ve been looking for it on the Internet but I don �t find it.

Would somebody mind helping me with this issue? When to use it? How to use it? and under what TOPIC IT can be used?

Regards!

30 Nov 2010      

PhilipR
Thailand

You �ll find it under �Modal verbs � in grammar books (or Internet sites).

Search for "be to" (with quotes) and modal verbs and you �ll find what you need.

I am to... is indeed similar to I have to, I must, I am supposed to. It expresses expectation, necessity, obligation. It �s more formal and old-fashioned though and rarely used nowadays.

30 Nov 2010     

magneto
Greece

I �d say it �s a structure of to be, where be has the function of a modal verb, expressing obligation (You are to hand in your papers by Monday - i.e. you have to hand in your papers by Monday), prohibition (You are not to smoke in this room - i.e. you mustn �t smoke in this room) or, followed by a perfect infinitive, sth that was supposed to happen, but didn �t (John was to have competed but he fell ill - i.e. he was going to compete, but he fell ill).

In the case of expressing obligation or prohibition, I �d say it sounds a bit more formal/ official.

...Anyway, that �s the way I �ve taught this structure so far...It �s worked with my students, but they were already advanced and they could understand it through examples and practice. I �m not sure such an explanation would work in all cases.

I hope someone else can give a more enlightening answer...It would be very helpful to me, too.Smile

Edit 1: I see Phillip has already provided an explanation...What�s up, doc?WinkBeer

Edit 2: Bruce was pretty quick, too!

30 Nov 2010     

yanogator
United States

It can also have a slightly milder meaning of "to be expected to".

I understand that I am to send a check before the 15th.

Please let him know if he is to call you with the information.

It �s not very common, as Philip said, and feels somewhat formal.

Bruce

30 Nov 2010     

Mr. Maru
El Salvador

Thank you so to all of you! Approve

3 Dec 2010