Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > some problems with the ESL teachers... but is it more the country I am in currently?    

some problems with the ESL teachers... but is it more the country I am in currently?

roneydirt
United States

some problems with the ESL teachers... but is it more the country I am in currently?

Now I got a call from a former student to go help her with her English papers.  I said ok and went to her school.  While I was there met the teachers.  My former student spoke better English than the teachers.  She even knew more of the academic work better than these two morons.  I have done some substitute work here in the country I am in and have seen a lot of fake papers given to both nationals and Foreign workers to teach ESL.  I would estimate about 40% from what I have come across.  I don �t want to get ban from the country I am in, but are there others that see this where they are at?  The two morons at my former student �s school were really nice guys, but it was like talking to one of my primary school students. (speak very slowly with only very basic words).  Told her and her classmates will visit once a week to help out if I have the time.

2 Dec 2010      

Ide_Bere
Mexico

I �ve got to say that the same thing happens here in M�xico, or at least in San Luis Potosi, where I live, there are a lot of English teachers with really bad grammar and lack of vocabulary that I rather speak Spanish with them, else I don �t understand what they really want to say. Right now, some teacher are studying "English as a language" in a college and they come to me with some basic questions about vocabulary that makes me wonder how they became teachers if they don �t have a degree. When I start with a new group I always ask them who was their teacher so I can know what their level really is. At least I know now that it is not just in here.
So sad....

Bere

2 Dec 2010     

miss K.
Ukraine

Though we have some outstanding teachers there is some of the problem mentioned above. Partly it is because our part of the world was closed for a long time, and present day teachers were taught by those who had never heard any live English speach. There is too much paper work and the salary is low to keep them motivated to move ahead. Some of the University teachers aren �t teachers by call so it also effects the students. Some students go and study just because currently it is a popular thing to do and some of those studing extensionally can �t even write their papers or speak on the very simple topics.

2 Dec 2010     

belfer
United States

roney dirt - what country are you in?

2 Dec 2010     

Minka
Slovenia

This is probably the syndrom of native speakers of languages that are spoken by many. You are less likely to experience this in smaller countries. But as soon as you feel you need foreign languages your attitude changes. And attitude is everything.
A country probably can �t ban those people from teaching unless they have better ones.

2 Dec 2010