Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > PERCEPT?    

PERCEPT?

Greek Professor
Greece

PERCEPT?

Good evening to all...

I would like your help please. I came across a sentence with the word percept. I know what it means. However, I would like your opinion. Does the word here mean: law, legislation. I can �t seem to find a the meaning for this sentence.

The new percept  to be signed by the Prime Minister, should reduce Taxes.

Thanks in advance

5 Dec 2010      

libertybelle
United States

Percept is being aware of something through your senses.  It �s part of the word perception or to perceive
I �ve never seen it used as you wrote  above

5 Dec 2010     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

are you sure it �s a percept and not a precept? The latter would make perfect sence in this context.
Sophia

5 Dec 2010     

Greek Professor
Greece

!!!!!!

Libertybelle: You have a point. But the the thing is that it is written this way. It �s in Final exam practice tests of Sylvia Kar for the Proficiency Michigan test. So it exists...
unless there is a mistake.... What can I say?...

ueslteacher: in answer to your question...YEP!..it �s written: percept...checked it again...

5 Dec 2010     

libertybelle
United States

That �s really strange - I can �t explain it.
But just in case - not everyone is perfect - and who knows? Perhaps it was a typo!
Sh*t does happen sometimes! Wink

5 Dec 2010     

Greek Professor
Greece

True what you say....

The funny thing is that I always seem to find typos( if this is the case)in books...Just a few months ago...i had found in a test saying: It �s time + present simple...
Now... according to all the grammar books it says that it is followed by simple past or full infinitive....

I let my fingers do the walking but found nothing....and I mean nothing....when i cam across a Prof.  in the states... and I asked him about it...and he basically told me that it can be done...so....Confused....

5 Dec 2010     

Turkey

percept.... when i force, it makes a little sense. can it be ... okay i may have some difficulty to explain. there is some rules or procedure for something. they revise it and make very little change in it. the new version is almost the same with the first one. this is percept. 

5 Dec 2010     

sarranit
Turkey

it must be precept. i think the sentence is wrong. it doesn �t make any sense.

5 Dec 2010     

Greek Professor
Greece

Like we said...it could be a typo...but...

5 Dec 2010     

libertybelle
United States

Even editors and publishers make mistakes.

5 Dec 2010     

zailda
Brazil

As far as I know, only God doesn �t make mistakes, or so I believe. Some might disagree even with His perfection. Prefection?

5 Dec 2010     

1    2    Next >